Tranny problems

SetofAces

Jan 22, 2009
SF Bay Area
My WC T5 (I bought it off the corral, supposedly it had been rebuilt) started leaking out of the output shaft seal about three weeks after install. I finally fixe it last week (after leaving it parked for several weeks) and it was leaking again within a day. Any ideas?

• Sponsors (?)

My WC T5 (I bought it off the corral, supposedly it had been rebuilt) started leaking out of the output shaft seal about three weeks after install. I finally fixe it last week (after leaving it parked for several weeks) and it was leaking again within a day. Any ideas?

Either you installed that wrong or it sounds like the output shaft berring is going bad. How much play does the output shaft have?

there is no such thing as an output shaft bearing....

the only thing in the output shaft is a metal sleeve which the input from the driveshaft fits into.

2 things back there that keep it from leaking, 1 is the seal on the tail shaft, the second is that bushing that's pressed into the tail shaft.

pull the driveshaft out and examin the condition of the bushing in the tailshaft. It can be scratched up, but you shouldn't see any huge grooves or any major issues with it.

it's possible that something is wrong with your driveline angle and the driveshaft is in the tailshaft at an angle that is destroying your seal or bushing in the tail

it's possible that something is wrong with your driveline angle and the driveshaft is in the tailshaft at an angle that is destroying your seal or bushing in the tail

Since you mention it . . . it had slipped my mind that I installed the "new" tranny with an Energy suspension mount; the mount came with a metal plate that I didn't install, as it appeared to have the same dimensions as the stock rubber mount without the plate. Perhaps this has thrown things off, though as I stated, it looks pretty much identical in dimensions to the original.

MMMM . . . vibrations, that's hard to say . . . I mean it's hard to tell, as it's very loud, and there's always been a bit of vibration, even before I converted the truck motor, and before I replaced the tranny; I never had any problems with my old tranny leaking though.

This is getting frustrating, every time I drive the car (which is on a daily basis), whenever I get where I'm going people think my car is on fire because of all the smoke coming off the cats (I have an oil leak that I think might be contributing to this too). Hopefully I'll be addressing the oil leak -- along with some of the other problems with my car . . . long list -- in the next day or two, and perhaps I can lock in on the problem . . . maybe . . . Anyone wanna buy an LX?? I give you very good price . . .