tranny questions...

Green4.6GT

Size Matters
Founding Member
Dec 31, 2001
Regina, Sask, Canada
i have a 96 GT 4.6 and i posted this over there also, but i remember the 5.0 crowd to be way faster on replying to stuff from back when i had my 5.0, and some of you guys might know the answer to this... so here goes..

ok, so what manual trans will fit in this car?? and what other than the pedals, clutch cable, flywheel, clutch and trans do you need to put this in an auto car... 3650 stock right?? will the t-5(from a fox) fit because they are way cheaper to find.. not to mention i'm in the middle of no where up here, so finding any parts locally sucks..

it will be either this, or cams, along with the headswap this tax return.. so i'm doing some price comparing.. thanks guys

• Sponsors (?)

The T-5 will not fit. I don't think there is a bellhousing for it that will fit the 4.6L block.

In 1996, the Mustang got the T-45 in the V8's. In 2001, Ford switched to the stronger T-3650

You can pick from either one of those transmissions.

T-45 = rated at 330 ft-lbs
T-3650 = rated at 360 ft-lbs

If you can, try to find a TR 3650. I have heard of issues with them, but I have experienced problems with my t 45. I had a 96 GT that I bought with 34,000 miles on it last summer. The guy I bought it from was an older gentlemen who didn't drive the car too much and rarely drove it hard. However, 5th gear went on it. I have heard of other 96's having the same problem.

I believe both trans have integrated bellhousings that do not have the same bolt patterns as the t-5.