Tranny swap help

I want to have a manual tranny in my 71 Coupe that has more gears than 3, right now its got a 250/3spd I already have a 302 waiting, whats the cheapest and easiest swap. I was thinking of a t-5, or top loader, if I can find one. right now the 302 has a C4 on the back of it, but the motor/trans in the car right now are the 250/3, any chance I can use some existing parts? What should my shopping list be to get a 4-5-6 speed to work? Thanks for the help.

Chris

• Sponsors (?)

With the size and weight of a 71 Stang and the room in the engine compartment, I'd think of something more than a 302. To swap motors and transmissions, you're gonna need the clutch linkage for what ever you decide to go with.( the biggest part will be the "Z" bar and the engine pivot for the "Z"). You will also need a std trans bell for a 302 or whatever motor you decide to go with. Most Stangs had different clutch linkage parts for different engine combinations. To get the parts you'll need , you're gonna have to either hunt for them or convert to either a cable or hydraulic clutch setup. It being a 6 cylinder car and as such, not a really collectable coupe, I'd contemplate sticking a 385 series motor in there ( 429-460) or at least a 351W or 351C

I was considering a 351C, but then I decided to go with a light duty V8 for a good cruiser car, I do alot of cruises and parades, I do plan on getting some performance out of the 302 as well, I'm hoping for around 350hp/400tq would be just right for what Im doing. Anyways, so you saying the stock clutch linkage for the 3spd isnt going to work? Also what if I swap for a t5 which wasnt available on the 71, what do I do then?

The pedal to out of the firewall will work, but I believe the Z bar will be different from the 6 cylinder to the V8. Not sure but I think the bellhousing's different too. The T-5 uses a different bell from the Toploader 3 & 4 speeds and used a cable linkage. Might be easier to adapt the cable linkage for the T-5 to your car, than trying to locate the correct parts for the rod linkage your car will need with a V8. 350 hp isn't unrealistic for a 302 but the 400 ft/lbs will be out of reach for just about any 302. Now if you swap in a 351W, you could easily reach that torque figure and you won't have any more problems with the swap than a 302.