Trans Am ?

Kevin R.

Jun 3, 2004
Ohio
No I don't want one. :D

Just wondering about one because a kid at school has a 1987 (i think) Trans Am 6.6 (I believe?), and I have talked to his friends and they say he wants to race me.
This was last year.

Over the summer I guess he got a new cam and forged internals I believe.

Fast forward. Tonight I hit a stop light with him and he said "PLEASE let's go." (I'm guessing for some bragging rights?) But I kindly refused as I am on a 90 day suspension. He understood and we went down the road. He took off, and it seemed to go.

Any idea of what a car like this would run?

I'm thinking he would make me do this face. :owned:

Just curious.

Thanks. :p

• Sponsors (?)

they didnt come stock with a 6.6. when i got my IROC(88) i was told it was the same as a top of the line trans am, so that would make it a 350.

my IROC was fast for its time, but you should be able to handle him pretty easily in your GT.

unless he did do a crate motor or somthing, then you may have some trouble. but as with most trans ams, i'll bet its pretty loud, dont let that scare you. its most likely and auto and, well, its old. good luck!

Maybe it is a 1978? Actually, I think it is.

Looks like this, which turns out to be a 78.
guajardo-76-50.jpg

yep, 400. but its just big to get some power out of it. in the time it was built, cars were still trying to be a little more fuel effecient and things like that. my brothers camaro had tons of torque, but it only hit like 120 max.

its a showy car, and pretty cool for a highschooler imo, but not near the performance or your GT.

Kevin R. said:
I guess this can still only be settled by a race! :bang:

Funny thing is it's either me or him for the fastest car at my high school. :rlaugh:

that must be a pretty good feeling. i would put my bets on your car(as all of my posts thus far show).

unless he did alot of work, its a loud dog that can probably spin the tires.

I don't know toooo much about these cars but I think I remember seeing something where they had heavy restrictions in those years so the HP was rated really low. However, if you remove the restrictor plate and some other gadgets they can be pretty quick or something. I drove one at our shop once a guy brought in and it was a dog (6.6 too). Doesn't mean your friends is though. Even if he does have some stuff done the car is still a lot heavier then yours is. I can't see from the pics on your webpage if you have an auto or manual but it looks like you have some pretty nice bolt ons. Taking out the stereo equipment temporarily and jack and stuff will help you out too. I'd give it a go though... it should be a fair race...

BTW, very nice car!!! I love the way the 99GT wheels look on it and the lip. Good job!

If it's the 6.6, it's probably the Olds 403. Stock vs stock, you'd annihilate him. I'm talking 2-3 car lengths. I raced a guy with a '77 (think Smokey and the Bandit), with the Olds 403, that he claimed was over 400hp, and I had him from go, and just pulled on him till we shut down. Was the easiest $100 I ever won :D

I would be carefull, I have a buddy who has a 79 T/A that he has a 400 B.O.P in it from his old catalina(sp?). He spent a few hundred on ram airIII heads and 400$ on some port work, got a cam and that thing runs 12.8's with a 2.4 60ft and from 20mph rolls has outrun 12.10 cars by carlengths until well over 120mph.

Stock they were turds but with 20+yrs someone could have done something to it. If he got a cam and had some heads that could use a cam you could be in some trouble.

super302 said:
I thought the last year of the 6.6's was like late 70's/early 80's???

81 was the last year for that body style/engine option. That pic of the white one is probably a 78, and your buddy's probably is too if it looks like that. They were painfully slow btw...in stock form. The fuel crisis led to them having horrible horsepower figures from all their efforts toward fuel economy.

Basically, if it's stock, I wouldn't be intimidated at all.