Trans/clutch issue. HELP!

DrYeRLiNt

Jan 17, 2008
The keys in my transmission broke about 2 months ago. I purchased a rebuild kit and followed the ford service manual for disassembly/reassembly.

For a month everything was fine. Then, problems began. When I would release the clutch on a downshift, the whole car would vibrate violently. I knew something was wrong, but I wanted to make it to my day off to try to fix the issue.

I made it another day and a half. As I'm coasting to a red light, the light turned green and I tried to downshift from 5th to 4th, and it would not come out of 5th. I coasted to the shoulder.

When I turned the car off, all gears shifted perfectly. However, with the car on, whatever gear the transmission is in, it's stuck in. If I start the car with it in gear with the clutch all the way in, it wants to lurch slightly. If I release the clutch pedal while giving it a little gas, it grinds terribly.

I left the car sitting overnight, and now when I start it in neutral with the clutch engaged it makes a light rattle, and when i release the clutch it makes a horrible rattle/almost grinding sound.

Because of the issues with the clutch fully pushed in, I'm inclined to believe it's in the clutch/flywheel/pilot bearing/throw out bearing/clutch cable rather than in the transmission itself. I used an inexpensive clutch (Perfection, which is made by Zoom) from Advance Auto Parts.

Can anyone give me any insight? I've got to get my car towed and fix it soon!

Thanks guys!

• Sponsors (?)