Trans Woes...

Synned

took tubgirl on a date and got banned
Mar 31, 2005
Philly
Sup guys

Recently my transmission has started to vibrate the car when it shifts. Not every time though. It will get into gear and for 1-2 seconds it will feel like I'm driving over those little freeway bumps only not as harsh. What could it be? Also, I'm getting the same type of vibrations sometimes when I'm just accelerating slightly. That I'm pretty sure is the torque converter. Both the trans and converter were replaced 2 years ago...and I really don't wanna have to put a lot of money into this.

Joe

• Sponsors (?)

Sounds like you have the dreaded torque converter shudder, it's common in the AODE's. I seem to remember an additive you can buy at any auto parts store that will reduce the shudder, but it doesn't change the fact that your torque converter is on it's way out.

Agreed. The infamous shudder. Ford issued a TSB recommending a fluid swap to Mercon V from the previous Mercon III I believe. Or was it just Mercon back then? Dont remember, its been a while. Either way the fix was only effective if the shudder was minor and in its infancy. It will get progressively worst. I was going to try a flush on mine when it started a month or so ago but I dont put a lot of miles on it and the car will be in storage soon. Then once I buy my Tri-Ax, clutch and cable, Ill be able to finally do the T5 swap. The rest of the parts have been in storage a while. Back to the point, has your fluid been changed since the work was done? How many miles since the work was done? Was there a warranty?

My trque converter had the shudder, im currentlly replacing it now with a 3k red line torque converter.
Normally the shudder for our torque converter happens when your in early third gear, and last for two second.

Wow, I can't believe it. Bought a bottle of that shudder stop additive, and it freakin worked! Smooth as butter now. I know it's just a band-aid though :(.

Do most people swap in Mercon V with a new AODE?

Mine had torque converter shudder pretty bad, so I drained the transmission pan and torque converter and replaced with Mobil1 synthetic ATF+ (says same or better than Mercon V too). It fixed it right up, matter of fact, made it shift smoother than ever.