Transgo or B&M shiftkit

• Sponsors (?)

Sorry to interrupt your thread, but this question might be useful. Some people say that chips, tuners and shift kits will ruin a tranny. But alot of the product websites claim that they might prolong the life of a tranny. Which is true?

PEWTERPONY said:
Isn't the Jerry Mod a manual valve body mod? I'm giong manual valve body, with b/m Hammer shifter. Only I'm going street stage on the valve body mod. I still wana be able to put it in D and just cruiser :)
The Jerry Mod is a mod for our Auto tranny's that gives firmer and more precise shifts without adding line pressure (other things as well). I too am going for the street/strip valve body. Jerry himself recommended that for us auto guys that use our cars as DD but still want more performance out of our tranny's. There are several posts floating around as I'm sure you have read many of them.

Let me know (if you remember) how you like the Hammer shifter. I wanted that as well, but the way Jerry described the way you have to shift it, I changed my mind.

2001geetee said:
Sorry to interrupt your thread, but this question might be useful. Some people say that chips, tuners and shift kits will ruin a tranny. But alot of the product websites claim that they might prolong the life of a tranny. Which is true?
From all the threads I have seen chips and tuners I would think it's ok, but it adds line pressure to make the shifts firmer and IMO, that's bad. Once again, that's only my opinion. As for shift kits, I have heard some good stories and some bad ones. I for one am against shift kits. Jerry gives an in depth explination of why they are bad. Do some searches and read what he said, it made sense to me and also made a believer out of me that they are bad.

Islander03GT said:
Guys he said C4, not 4R70W, I dont think the Jerry Mod works for C4's.
Ahhhhhhhhhh..............

I don't know didly bout C4's (not like I know alot about 4R70W either). Good Point.

John.....

where you been man? We mist you and the Dyno shoot out. There is gonna be another one In October I think. Also talking about getting a Ventura County chapter started.

Been busy.. was at the track last night :) 14.9's, a bit disappointing but very consistent. Would have been nice to best that 14.5 but it wasnt happening.

On the 30th I'm gone for the summer, I'll be back August 23rd, so if you dont hear from me, thats why...

Find a reputable automatic transmission shop, and let them do it. See what they suggest. I believe my C4 have a "Superior" (or something like that, nto exactly sure) shift kit. Its the closest to a MVB I've felt, when I shift, it shifts ;)

Personally, I'd suggest B&M. I'm just not a big Trans-Go fan, their shift kits just don't do anything for me.

Also, tuner chips and shift kits don't work well together. The increased line pressure teamed with the quicker, more firm shifts, can lead to ruined trannies, but I HIGHLY doubt he has this problem with a C4.

So, I'd suggest a street/strip valve body, and/or letting an auto shop do the work, and let them pick the parts (you also usually get a one year warranty ;)).

If not, go B&M.

Just make sure to hook up a tranny cooler on that C4, because they are pretty notorious for overheating and puking trans fluid all over creation.

-Will