Transmission broke again!

Broke the 3rd and 4th gear shift fork I would guess in my T45. This is the second time. =/ Should I buy a heavy duty rebuild kit from D&D performance with steel forks and ****. Or should I just take it to a shop and have it rebuilt stock. Or should i buy a tremec 3650 out of an 02 mustang or whatever year they're in? Any other options? Thanks

Andy

• Sponsors (?)

I'd say the hell with it and get a 3650 or even upgrade to the t-56 while your at it. Chances are you are going to have to keep farting around with it and spend more money than its worth or probably have already. Personally i havent had an issue with mine...but when it happens its 6 speed time.

Well i think the first time the transmission broke was because the clutch fork wasnt on the mount and wasnt releasing the clutch very consistantly. This was before I ever touched the car. And now its been shifting awesome and everything but i think the power and abuse just killed it. The only thing man, the T56 is so damn expensive. I'd love to have one though

If you power shift a T45 or 3650 they will break. The 3650 is good to 360 ft/lbs IF you get a good one. I have been lucky in that mine (3650) has the updated shift forks and has not had the grind problem. I would be afraid to buy a used on though. The TKO 500 actually shifts at high RPM better than the TKO 600 and with a new bell housing will set you back about two grand but it will most likely be the last tranny you will need to buy. The T56 is just way to much money now.IMO

So the TKO will run me about 2k? Damn thats a little bit much. What is involved in putting that in my car though? They probably just make a bell housing that will bolt to my block and to the trans... correct? And then what do I do about the trans mount and the driveshaft?

What are my choices as far as rebuilding the T45 to make it tougher? I saw steel shift forks and stuff online before somewhere vs the alum ones? How does a heavy duty rebuild work on these?

Thanks for the help

Let me know where you found the steel shift forks. I'm in the same boat as you, only I broke the 1st/2nd fork. I don't have the cash for the TKO so I'm kinda up the crick without a paddle.

D&D I know sells everything you would need to put the TKO in your car. I think all you need is a bellhousing, a new slipyoke, and a shifter relocator. Please correct me if I'm wrong, I'm new with this kinda stuff.