Drivetrain Transmission Fluid....

Discussion in 'Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech' started by HuskerNation, May 6, 2013.

1. HuskerNation

HuskerNation Member

So, lately I have smelling a strong synthetic burn when I am getting of the interstate. This isn't an oil burn, so the only thing I can imagine it to be, is transmission fluid, as its that strong. I have not been getting any leaks on the ground, so I have been unsure of whats going on.

Saturday, I decided to level out the car, and check the fluid. I am not low, but I do believe it may have too much in it. I took out the top drain plug, and it came spilling out. Not a whole lot, but instead of letting it get all over the garage floor, I put the plug back in. I only put 3 QTs in when I did my clutch replacement, so it can't be over filled that much.

My question, if it is over filled, will I have this issue for a bit, and will it go away? Should I get it level again, pull the plug and let it drain out until it stops?

Thanks for your time and responses,
    Nick

2. boostfrk

boostfrk Active Member

I would get it level, pull the plug and let the excess drain off. You're only supposed to have it filled to the bottom of the "fill" hole.

3. MikeH686

MikeH686 Mine is only two inches though.

3 quarts is to much I think it calls for only 2.4 or 2.6 I'm not sure which but either way that's almost a half a quart over and if it doesn't leak its not gonna go away ... where does it have to go??

4. HuskerNation

HuskerNation Member

See, when I filled the car, I thought it was level. I didn't use the all 3 quarts, but I do remember that it was a vast majority. When I pulled the fill tube out of the transmission, the first time, it didn't leak a single thing. My guess, the car wasn't as level as I initially thought.

MikeH, I didn't know if it would burn off, as I can smell it as it is.

Looks like I will just be letting it drain out lol.

5. MikeH686

MikeH686 Mine is only two inches though.

It wouldn't burn off as much as degrade or break down that's when your trans fluid goes from a bright cherry red to a poop brown lol

6. Nitsua93

Nitsua93 New Member

Could be leaking from the speed sensor and dripping onto the exhaust.