Transmission grinds at high RPM

aarons914

Sep 13, 2009
Has anyone had a transmission grind at high RPM? It shifts fine but when already in gear after about 4k RPM I start hearing kind of a grinding noise, not the sound of a mis-shift but it is a grind of sorts.

• Sponsors (?)

Mines not the same type of grind like when you mis-shift but a whine is maybe more accurate. I don't know much about how trannys work but Id say it sounds like a bearing because the noise definitely seems like something rotating very fast.

Mine is horrible it grinds shifting into 2nd above 2500rpms and whines in all gears but 4th.

2nd gear problem is def that the syncro is bad

and the whine is a bad bearing from where the fluid got low

Mine is horrible it grinds shifting into 2nd above 2500rpms and whines in all gears but 4th.

2nd gear problem is def that the syncro is bad

and the whine is a bad bearing from where the fluid got low

You sure? I had a lot of whining from my T5 when I used ATF with friction modifiers/additives in it. That may be good for an AODE but not for a T5. I switched to the cheapest ATF I could find (which had no special additives), and after a day of driving the whine went away. Something to consider the next time you change your fluid.

You sure? I had a lot of whining from my T5 when I used ATF with friction modifiers/additives in it. That may be good for an AODE but not for a T5. I switched to the cheapest ATF I could find (which had no special additives), and after a day of driving the whine went away. Something to consider the next time you change your fluid.

I bought it straight from Ford it was motorcraft ... and my tranny leaked down to not even a quart when I started noticing the whining. Thats when we changed the fluid but with no help.

Mines not the same type of grind like when you mis-shift but a whine is maybe more accurate. I don't know much about how trannys work but Id say it sounds like a bearing because the noise definitely seems like something rotating very fast.

Well, I actually WISH I had the answer to this one. LOL I did the AODE to T5 swap out of a donor car years ago. Whenever I would rev it with the clutch in a highway speeds or apply throttle and let out in 4th or 5th gear it would whine like that. A few months ago I was just driving to my friends house about 2 miles from my house. Slow casual driving in 5th gear and had been just loafin along the whole time, and Reeerrkk!!! for like .5 seconds directly followed by 5th gear now being a neutral gear. Every since I can put it up in 5th and it's like it's not even there. Been driving a 4 spd every since waiting on stock car season to get over so my machinest has time in the winter to rebuild it for me. lol