Transmission Help

my T-5 transmission in my 98 v6 is running rough. I want to add transmission fluid to see if that makes it better but i don't have another car and by the time i get home there is not much light left to work. Is there an easy way to add fluid without putting the car on ramps?

• Sponsors (?)

you must state auto or manual because it makes a difference
assume manual, you can remove the stick shift cover and add there
assume auto, then you can add it slowly at the dipstick.

probably, you should just do it right and jack up the car over the weekend and fill properly.

Stanger16, GDawgs is right. You really need to take the time and jack the car up. There will be two holes on the passenger side of the car about 4-5 inches apart from each other. You will need a 3/4 driver to remove them (bottom one=the drain and the top=the fill). If your T-5 is running a little rough I suggest, when you are draining the transmission fluid, to let the fluid run through a strainer (a regular fine wire, kitchen strainer will do). You want to look for metal shavings. Yes...you will see what looks like a little bit of metal dust, this is normal wear and should run right through the strainer. Anything that stays in the strainer is not a good sign and should be taken to a rebuild shop. The best way to refill a T-5 is to leave the fill plug out and fill up the transmission through your shifter. Once you see the transmission fluid dripping out off the fill plug its good and full (a little more then 3qts). DO NOT fill it over the fill plug. You can use Dextron III Transmission Fluid, but if you have the money go to a GM dealership and get whats call Synchromesh (about 15-20 bucks a qt). Good Luck!