Transmission Kickdown

I have a 70 Mach1 351w with a FMX tranny. The car has no transmission kickdown lever. It's missing from the car. My question is can this lead to any damage to the tranny? The car seems to drive fine. It even "kicks down from
3rd to 2nd. What exactly does the kickdown arm do? I just don't want to burn my tranny out. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

When I got my Stang years ago the C-4 trans in it didn't have the kick down linkage and it drove fine under light throttle conditions. When I wanted to get on it, it felt like a dog, shifting into 2nd WAY too early. I put the linkage on and WOW what a difference from 0-40mph. It would stay in first and accelerate like a rocket compared to 2nd gear.

The kickdown in an automatic is actually boost pressure inside the transmission. You could manually shift down into 2nd gear when you want to pass, but a properly working 'kickdown' is a beautiful thing. Your transmission will have to work harder, and not be as efficient with out one. You really should try and replace it.

i haven't had a kickdown on my FMX for at least 15 years and have had no problems because of it. you can't use it with some carbs like carter/edelbrock or some holleys and demons where the kickdown linkage mounts outside of the stock throttle linkage, like my old carter had or my new demon has anyway.