Transmission pops out of reverse

89mustanglx50

Aug 22, 2003
Anybody know how to fix the problem with the transmission popping out of reverse? I have an 89 LX with the T5. I know the transmission didnt come with the car, the original was replaced under warranty. I heard this is quite a common problem on the t5 mustangs... I have the stock shifter with stock trans and clutch. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Being that reverse isn't synchronized like the other gears, it always grinds going into gear. Try putting the car in 5th, then slide it into reverse before backing up; it shouldn't grind. If it's "popping" out of reverse, I'm guessing the gear itself isn't real happy, and the only way you're going to fix that is to replace it.
If you had an aftermarket shifter, I would think that maybe a shifter stop needed adjustment (reverse not fully engaging), but wouldn't think you'd have that problem with a stock shifter?

Thats good advice, I use first most of the time, but 5th works well. All manuals are like this. Mine will go half way into reverse, if I dont pay attention, then it will pop out with a loud bang when I try to back up. If yours does the same thing try this: put it in 5th, then reverse and hold pressure against the shifter toward reverse while letting the clutch out slowly. It should pop all the way into gear when the clutch begins to engage.
Then you should be able to back up without it popping out of gear. First will do the same thing in my car if I dont pay attention to what I am doing.

stock borg warners are crap. I dont like them, it seems they cut a corner when they did not syncronize the reverse gear. Reverse gear is also a problem with me (grinding) but the 5th gear trick should work well. Its not something to worry about really, unless it stops working, reverse gear is messed up on most borg warners that i know of for the reason that people just put them in reverse without doing the 5th gear trick. :nice:

All manual trannies dont have sychronized reverse gears as far as I know. I always shut it off in a forward gear anyway, then start it up in the same gear. It goes into reverse with no prob. For me the problem mainly was caused by a worn out clutch quad, causing the clutch to disengage improperly. If your clutch is engaging the flywheel with the pedal barely off the floor, then start by fixing that problem. That cured my difficulties with popping out of gear.