Drivetrain Transmission Problems... Please Help.

Discussion in '1994 - 1995 Specific Tech' started by Rustbucket94, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Rustbucket94

Rustbucket94 New Member

I have a 94 GT with an automatic transmission that has no idea what gear it wants to be in while driving. Sometimes in-between gears. Once the vehicle has been driven for more than 40min. the problem seems to vanish. Could this be a Transmission shift solenoid or a Transmission pressure solenoid? If so are they outside or inside the tranny.

Thanks for any help.
  2. toyman

toyman Active Member

Those are internal parts. However, the transmission range sensor is external. First you want to check the shift cable. To do this put the shift lever in drive and make certain it's against the Drive stop. Raise the car and loosen the shift cable to manual lever retaining nut. Move the manual lever to the Drive position by moving the lever all the way forward until it stops, then pulling it back three detent positions. With both the shift lever and the manual lever now in the Drive position tighten the retaining nut securely. Now check the operation of the transmission in each shift position.

If there is a problem with the TR sensor you will get a 522 trouble code.
  3. Chythar

Chythar Well-Known Member

when I had an automatic transmission in my Stang, I had a similar problem. I'd be driving along and the transmission would suddenly shift into neutral, then after a second or so it would shift back into gear. This would repeat a few times then would go away for a while. The issue turned out to be the gear on the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS). The plastic gear had stripped and would slip now & then. The computer uses the VSS to determine your speed and then select the correct gear. The stripped gear confused the computer and caused it to shift strangely. I would check the VSS gear and the wiring going to it. If I remember right, the VSS is a blue sensor plugged into the transmission on the driver's side at the back, near the driveshaft. One bolt holds it in. Also make sure the wiring leading to the VSS isn't damaged.