Transmission questions

Racerjoey1

Founding Member
Oct 21, 2002
Birmingham, AL
Hey everyone I am wanting to start working on my car more again. I finally got a new truck like I wanted to know its the fox's turn.

My transmission is a little hard to get into gear. I have never driven another car with a t5 so i have nothing to compare it too except my old ranger. Now like an idiot, I just wanted to get my car running last year and was low on funds so I put the same old clutch back in it. Could that cause it to be a little notchy?

Also, when I am done with the car, I would be happy with 12.5-13.0's in the 1/4. Can the t5's hold up to a decent launch and mid 12's? Im not going to powershift but im not going to be easy on it either.

Thanks,
Joey

• Sponsors (?)

Is the car hard to put into gear with the engine off? If so, then the trans synchros may be worn or there may be a bent shift fork. If it is easier to put into gear with the engine off, then there may be an issue with the disengaging of the clutch (ie. worn clutch, misadjusted cable).
But then again, you say its "a little hard" to get into gear. The T5 is not the smoothest transmission, and when everything is functioning correctly, can be a little notchy. You may not have anything wrong with your clutch/tranny.

You are probably right. I think the reason I think it is really notchy is because I had a Ford Ranger 4cyl 5 speed that I drove everyday for 3 yrs. That thing shifted like butter. I know I need a clutch because last time I took my car out I hit it in 2nd gear and the engine revved but I didn't accelerate. It seems a little easier when the engine is off too.

I started thinking about something else, I have the adjustable kit from Jegs, is it possible to have too little slack where it can put tension on the cable when the pedal is not pressed? I would imagine it could and maybe that is why the clutch slipped. I also notice that I could shift the Ranger faster than I can the Mustang. Maybe the crappy stock shifter is part of it too.

Joey