Transmission Struggles

Discussion in 'SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech' started by Daniel Lennox, Jul 30, 2013.

1. Daniel Lennox

Daniel Lennox New Member

I've spent days trying to find an answer online for my tranny problems but have had no luck so I came to ask myself. When the car is off I can easily move from gate to gate between gears, when running however it is very difficult to shift into ANY shift gate into gear. Once in gear however I have completely normal pedal feel, travel to pedal engagement has not changed, engagement is still smooth and is grabbing normally. At this point when driving I go from stop to second and rev match to get into the next gear. The transmission has 238xxx miles on it, still with the stock clutch. Has a steeda shortthrow installed. It just doesn't seem like the clutch/throwout bearing because once in gear everything else is normal and there are no strange sounds coming from the transmission or vibrations. Any ideas for things to check would be awesome.

2. trinity_gt

trinity_gt Advanced Member

Two possibilities come to mind:

Either the the clutch itself is not fully releasing (i.e. the disc is still in contact with the flywheel or pressure plate even though the pedal is on the floor) or the transmission has very weak synchronizers.

Since all gears are involved and weak 5th gear synchros are pretty unlikely, I'm going to lean toward a clutch release issue.

You might try a fluid change as a simple start to fixing this.