Tremclad Paint

Skoobie

Damn...Tyler65's hot!
May 25, 2003
Vancouver, WA
I was going to post this is Sound & Shine but no one goes over there :rolleyes: Since Im poor as dirt (Actually that would count as land;which I have none of...renting blows :mad:) I thought I would give this stuff a try. I ran into a great write-up on "Painting your car for $50". I first thought rattle-can :rolleyes: but decided to check it out anyway. Turns out its actually possible and it looks pretty good. My paint is so thin its wearing off all the corners of the car and every horizontal surface is oxyidized so I figure trying this method cant look any worse.

http://www.mx6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=162656

My question is where in the US can you pick up this paint? If you cant is it possible to order it from an online company? Someone chime in if you know, i want to give this a try :nice:

P.S. This guys Orange Charger turned out fantastic for a "$50 roller paint job"

• Sponsors (?)

Ummm NO!

It may look "fine" on some small jpeg pics on the net but still I wouldn't do anything like that. You might as well leave it as it is until you can afford a REAL paint job. If you paint it with tremclad rust paint, it will mean more prep-work for the body shop guy.

Save the roller paint method for morons with cars worth less than their own mailboxes.

Reed said:
Yeah I don't think I would rattle can my car either.

Try some of those 2 or 3 step waxes that remove oxidation, they really can make the paint look like new until you save the money.

I can get rid of the oxidation but it only lasts a month or so before it comes back. And the paint is so thin its starting to wear through on the roof. Im trying to buy my first house right now so its going to be a LONG time before I can spend 2k on a paint job. I need a new fender (someone kicked mine in) anyway so I think I'll practice on that...see how the end result looks. BTW its not rattle canning, its applied with a roller after you thin it with mineral spirits. If it looks like crap then I wait. We'll see I guess :shrug:

look at the cars on this page

http://s32.photobucket.com/albums/d13/69martin/paint/?

all of them were painted with a roller using tremclad rust paint, no primer, and a reducer to self level. then they were wet sanded.

this was done on cars before spray technology was invented.

i will be doing this to the doors of my cougar.

its extremely ghetto, but look at the results. it takes alot of time paintting sanding and painting but if you only got 50$ an nothing but time. hell its worth a shot, and the tremclad can be painted over.

Skoobie said:
I can get rid of the oxidation but it only lasts a month or so before it comes back. And the paint is so thin its starting to wear through on the roof. Im trying to buy my first house right now so its going to be a LONG time before I can spend 2k on a paint job. I need a new fender (someone kicked mine in) anyway so I think I'll practice on that...see how the end result looks. BTW its not rattle canning, its applied with a roller after you thin it with mineral spirits. If it looks like crap then I wait. We'll see I guess :shrug:

What about those cheap paint shops you guys have all over the USA? It's like 400 bucks or something to repaint a car? :shrug: May not be the best of jobs but still better than using an acrylic "rolled on" paint. At least if it's a 2 step paint job, it won't be such a PITA for when you're ready for a real paint job.

I've used Tremclad on my cars before but only under the carpet (floor boards) or the undercarriage. It's a tough paint and can be painted on rusted surfaces but it does lack in luster. For luster I'd use a urethane based paint (mixed with a clear) and then wet sand but it would be a ton of work and may look worse than before.