Tremec 3650... ?!

usaf_branham

15 Year Member
Oct 30, 2008
Boston
A year and a half ago, I had my transmission fluid changed. I went with Mobil 1 ATF... when I spoke with autozone, they told me 5 qts was what it called for. I took it to the local performance shop, they changed it 'per tsb' and used just a shade over 3 qts...

ever since they changed the fluid, the transmission sounds like chit the first 1000 rpm on take off or shifting, or going up a hill. also, at idle i can hear 'knocking' in the trans that goes away when i push in the clutch.

I assume that they did not add enough atf. so, tonight I poured approx 2/3 qt more atf through the top of the shifter, and started it. trany was silent at idle, but i havent taken it for a test ride yet. I am just a slight bit concerned that I may have added just a touch too much atf to it because i have read in numerous places that the car originally came with 4 qts, not 5. I know that it must have right around 4 qts, maybe a touch more, maybe a touch less.

just in case, if i did add a lil too much, do you guys think its going to really hurt anything? also, what was the original amount of fluid that came in the car (in qts)? granted, i had a lil bit of a 1-2 clash every now and then, but it sounded much happier.

it pisses me off because there is so much conflicting information on the web.

thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

The Ford 2004 Service manual states to fill the TR3650 manual transmission to 0.5 inch below the filler opening. By following the method below, it's not possible to over fill.

However, I do seem to recall a Ford TSB that slightly reduced the amount of fluid in the transmission. I do not recall the TSB number or the details. My subscription to alldatadiy has expired. So I can't look it up for you. I did post it a long time ago. So if you want to look through some old posts...

How about starting by following the 2004 Ford Service manual and see how it does? Or perhaps go 3/4 of an inch from the fill hole.

>>
NOTE: Do not overfill the transmission. This will cause transmission fluid to be forced out of the case.

Fill the transmission with the recommended fluid.
  • Make sure the fluid is 0.5 in (12.7 mm) below the filler opening for the correct fluid level. Using a tie strap, measure an inch from the end and bend it at a 90° angle, place it in the filler opening and check the fluid. Adjust the fluid level as necessary.

i just checked it. i jacked up the car from the subframe behind the front passenger tire, pulled out the fill plug, and checked the level using a piece of bent safety wire. i bent the wire to exactly 1/2 inch and stuck it in the fill hole. the tip of the safety wire was wet. considering the car was not level, it would be fair to assume that my transmission is not overfilled. it is probably still a little low on atf if anything.