Tremec w/ Synthetic ATF Success Stories??

STANGmole

Sep 15, 2008
Portland, OR
I've realized that my 5spd shifts like a farm tractor and it's all related to how cold it is outside...the colder it is the worse it shifts. When it's moderate temperature outside it shifts great, somewhat notchy but precise. When cold the synchros don't mesh up well and it's difficult to near-impossible to shift into reverse after it has been parked.

I put synthetic ATF in both of my previous Mustangs (90GT and 95 Cobra) with great success but neither had the Tremec. They both had the hard reverse shifting after being parked too but it immediately went away with the synthetic.

I've read stories that synthetic can ruin the Tremecs synchros (not that they're that great now:D ) but also have read that it was qualed from the factory with Mobil synthetic ATF ??

Any advice or experience with swapping out the tranny fluid with synthetic would be greatly appreciated!! -Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

I've used Synthetic ATF, GM synchromesh to be specific, in my T-45 in my 96 and the T-3650 in my 08 with good success. In both cases shifting became easier and smoother. Royal Purple actually makes their own version of synchromesh if you want the really high dollar stuff, though the GM stuff isn't cheap. FYI, the T-5 is a tremec transmission.
Dan

I've used Synthetic ATF, GM synchromesh to be specific, in my T-45 in my 96 and the T-3650 in my 08 with good success. In both cases shifting became easier and smoother. Royal Purple actually makes their own version of synchromesh if you want the really high dollar stuff, though the GM stuff isn't cheap. FYI, the T-5 is a tremec transmission.
Dan

i think tremec bought out borg-warner which made the t-5 trans originally

Our syncros need ATF soaked in for them to work right. That's already been done from the factory. I'd put 3 qts Royal Purple synthetic in and top it off with a squirt of ATF. That's what I did a couple of years ago and it's quieter and shifts nice. You could also pull up the shift boot and stuff a bunch of foam rubber around the inner console area if noise is an issue.

I just put in RP Synchromax tonight. Love it. Major improvement. I cant say if normal tranny fluid upgrade would have done the same. The old fluid was very brown... but, its like a whole new transmission after the Synchromax.

Our syncros need ATF soaked in for them to work right. That's already been done from the factory. I'd put 3 qts Royal Purple synthetic in and top it off with a squirt of ATF. That's what I did a couple of years ago and it's quieter and shifts nice. You could also pull up the shift boot and stuff a bunch of foam rubber around the inner console area if noise is an issue.

How much do you consider a squirt? 1oz? 2oz?