TRICK FLOW/GT40P COMBO?

Ive figured out my motor combo finally. 306 with tri state gt40p heads, trick flow stage 1 cam, 1.6 rocker, trick flow track heat intake, 75mm t.b./mass air and 30lb injectors.

Has anyone else run this combo that has some numbers on it? anyone run it who didn't like it?

• Sponsors (?)

This is just my .02cents, so take that for what it's worth.

You have a set of heads and a cam that is tailored for mostly street driving, yet are using a pretty big throttle body and a fairly agressive intake. In other words, I think some parts aren't jiving with others. If this is mostly a street car, I think you would end up being happier using that GT-40P/TFS1 combo with an Edelbrock Performer or TFS Street intake with a port match between the lower intake and the heads. A 65mm or 70mm throttle body would also probably be a better match.

Those 30lb injectors aren't necessary. The stock 19lb injectors are capable up to about 275hp. 24lb injectors are good for roughly 350hp. You won't make anywhere near that, so even 24lb'ers would do the job.

Whatever you end up doing, make sure you either buy a calibrated MAF sensor or get a tune to accommodate the larger injectors.

Ive figured out my motor combo finally. 306 with tri state gt40p heads, trick flow stage 1 cam, 1.6 rocker, trick flow track heat intake, 75mm t.b./mass air and 30lb injectors.

Has anyone else run this combo that has some numbers on it? anyone run it who didn't like it?

The combo will be better with a cobra/explorer intake ,throttle body is OK but a 70mm will be better because the tbody will be the same size as the intake opening(cobra/explorer).

30lb injectors are a good idea(if tuned) esp if you plan on a wet nos kit.24's are about perfect but they dont leave enough overhead if you plan on spraying later on.

I am with the others. If you are married to the P heads, use an explorer/cobra/gt40 intake and at most a 70mm TB and you can probably be just right at home with the stock 19lbs injectors. The poor 306 will never flow enough to use a 75mm TB unless you go boost or N02 and 30lbs injectors are a bit overkill. A 24lbs would be much better suited for your setup if you feel it is necessary. The TFS intake is not very well matched with the rest of the setup and will probably be a dog at the low to mid RPM range. I do have to say that the stage 1 is a great off the shelf intake for a street car.
Kevin

Thats what I thought, I had a set of AFR 185's for the combo but had to sell them. I was hoping that someone got away with doing a "cheap" build. I have all the other parts but not the means to purchase a set of comperable, aluminum heads. Im not married to the gt40p's and if someone has a suggestion of where I can get a better suited head for my combo I would be a very happy man!

I think the track heat intake is a little agressive but not overkill. The heads are fairly efficient but they are a midrange power head. I think they would be slightly better matched to an explorer/cobra intake. The cam will work out fairly well for you. I do think you need to get rid of the 30# injectors and use 24#. I would stay away from using the stock 19's because you will be running them near the 100% duty cycle which is not what you want. I think the 24#'s will be right at home in the 85% duty cycle range. Also a 65mm or 70mm throttle body is more inline with the rest of the combo. If you make these changes you will wind up with more average power/torque across the RPM band!

I do agree, the 30's are WAY too big for the gt40p's, it can be done, but the money invested in the tune isn't worth it. When I added up the money for the heads and the tune I could buy a set of good heads for the price...

I found a set of PRO COMP 190cc/60cc chamber 2.02/1.60 heads on ebay for 760. I think there comperable but may be too much. Plus Ive never heard of pro comp before and I don't know anyone who has ever used them. It seems like im running into the problem where the gt40p's will choke my combo, and these 190's mite be over kill... I wish I had 1300 for a set of TFS heads!

I do agree, the 30's are WAY too big for the gt40p's, it can be done, but the money invested in the tune isn't worth it. When I added up the money for the heads and the tune I could buy a set of good heads for the price...

I found a set of PRO COMP 190cc/60cc chamber 2.02/1.60 heads on ebay for 760. I think there comperable but may be too much. Plus Ive never heard of pro comp before and I don't know anyone who has ever used them. It seems like im running into the problem where the gt40p's will choke my combo, and these 190's mite be over kill... I wish I had 1300 for a set of TFS heads!

why just tfs? afr and eddy make some good heads too..I picked mine up for 600.00 ..I cant complain about the power they make.

Id prefer a set of tfs heads because they are port-matched to my lower intake, but when the time comes and the money is there anything is a possibility. I wouldn't mind having another set of AFR 185's or a used set of edlebrock performers. Really in the end whatever is the best deal I will jump on:)

the combo in my 93 is typhoon intake (eddy knockoff)gt-40's with the stage 1 cam with with springs,ford 1.6 rr's,70mm tb and 73mm maf.my car is a aod with shift kit and 4:10's and for the little time i have driven the car its a mover.i had a explorer on it before and didnt really notice a differnce when i switched to the typhoon.i also have 24 lb inj with no tune.when i put the car back on the road it will get tuned. phil