Trick Flow HCI Dyno Results

I don't understand what I am reading here. The guy has major engine modifications (h/c/i) and several folks are saying that computer tweeking is irrelevant. I can't imagine doing that much engine work without getting a full dyno tune, including a custom chip. Or at bare minimum doing some extensive tuning work with a Tweecer.

Unfortunately, it looks like the poster missed the easiest opportunity to get LT headers in there. When you have the heads off, the LT headers simply drop in on both sides (no lifting or nothing). Sorry you missed out on that one.

Good luck hunting out the rest of your missing horsepower.

• Sponsors (?)

We did about 8 pulls and played with the fuel pressure and timing. I came into the shop with 14 degrees and 44lbs and was pulling 265HP. We eventually ended up at 46lbs and 12 degrees to pick up 7hp. In fact the technician in the shop thought that I might even pull more by backing off to 10 degrees. We let it cool down between runs as well to keep things consistant. Oh, one more surprise was after the dyno runs we noticed that two of my header bolts had vibrated out and fell on the shop floor. I'm not joking. The tech says that he's seen that before and we just put them back on and checked the rest.
Thanks for the feedback.

It's a 5 speed. Thanks for straightening me out on the "tweeker". Ibought those high flow cats to replace the factory ones because of the emissions requirements in PA. The dyno run with factory cats and heads was 256 and now I'm at 272HP. I'm sure Hpipes will be better yet but noisey as hell.

That's a good idea. I'll scan the dyno printout and post it for you experts to see. I'm still learning here, so, I appreciate the help. BTW... air/fuel was 13.45. You'll see the chart tomorrow(hopefully)

Ed Calvert said:
Fuel to air was 13.45
What do you think of that #? The dyno shop says it's right where it needs to be.

Lots of folks will tell you 13 to 1 is where its at.

I made the most power on my baseline pulls at 12.5

IMHO I think you are too lean at 13.5

After reading how you played with the fuel pressure & dizzy I'm inclined to think the tune is not all that is at fault for the lower than normal numbers seen with similar combos.

Later
Grady

Now that i have finally gotten my car dyno'd, ive been learning a lot of things. First is 2 cars with the same mods can act completely different. A lot of people will say 13.1 for af, however my car picked up hp as i went leaner. Same goes for your twisted wedge heads, mine like more timing, yours liked less. Right now im at 14.1 at wot. I am in the very same boat as you, check sig for mods- 275hp/315 torque. This was with the trackheat intake. I too was disapointed. Im also running a mac catted h pipe, but am also running 315's out back-ive been told that will rob you of some ponies on a dyno. I have since switched to a streetheat upper (matches my cam better) and bought a vrs offroad x. Thinking too of throwing a powerpipe on it and be done with it. Im hoping to find some 9inch rims to throw on the back for the dyno, but i am hoping for about 290 hp and 325ish torque. Goodluck in your search as im right there with ya!

Nik_95Cobra said:
245's extreemly stout for a stock 94-95 cobra. As for the trickflow setup I thought it would be closer to 300 rwhp.

I got the dyno sheet if you want me to post it if there is any disbelief(sp) and it was on a mustang dyno. Anyone know Rick & Linn From Amazon Racing? That is who I had it dynoed by! :hail2:

final5-0 said:
Lots of folks will tell you 13 to 1 is where its at.

I made the most power on my baseline pulls at 12.5

IMHO I think you are too lean at 13.5

After reading how you played with the fuel pressure & dizzy I'm inclined to think the tune is not all that is at fault for the lower than normal numbers seen with similar combos.

Later
Grady

Hey Ed

I don't know who this Grady guy is but I think he gave you some bogus info :rlaugh:

I was looking over this thread again and I then saw a possible fubar on my part :bang: so I gotta ask you if the dyno guy was using a sniffer wide band.

If so its not uncommon for a sniffer to read leaner due to the cats that are upstream of the sniffer O2 probe.

So 13.5 on his dyno might not be outta line :shrug:

I saw a .75 difference between my wb mounted in the lt's collector and the dyno sniffer wb during my baseline pulls the last time I was at the dyno. I use cats also.

Sorry for the confusion I may have caused :doh:

Later
Grady