Trick flow heads smog ports

lancec2c30

May 14, 2008
Washington
I got my trick flow h/c/i installed, I plugged off the ports in the back of the heads for the smog. But I didn't realize they also have the ports on the front. Now, I've got the plugs to fix the issue.

My question is will it be alright to hot rod the car around some beforehand? I'm unsure if the leak is significant enough to burn an exhaust valve?

• Sponsors (?)

Why would it matter if you got plugs? Put them in.

To answer your question I wouldn't, this happened to me once on the smog ports on a truck, made it run all weird. It is like having a huge exhaust leak in your engine bay.

I was told one time that an open area to heads, ie exhaust port left open, or bad header gaskets, could allow cold air into the opening after shutting the motor down and cause valve warpage.
Living in the Northwest we have not had the warmest of weather latley. I would not risk it. Especcially with new heads!

Why would it matter if you got plugs? Put them in.

To answer your question I wouldn't, this happened to me once on the smog ports on a truck, made it run all weird. It is like having a huge exhaust leak in your engine bay.

I'm just tired of working on this jalopy. I'll have to pull alternator and ps brackets to put them in.
So I guess I'll just let the car sit until I get the ambition to do it.

I'm just tired of working on this jalopy. I'll have to pull alternator and ps brackets to put them in.
So I guess I'll just let the car sit until I get the ambition to do it.

I'm right there with ya. I need to clean my maf, change my oil, and pull the O2's to see if they need replacing. And here I am still sitting on the computer. :p