Trickflow TrackHeat - stock dyno

Stark77

Jun 11, 2008
Tallahassee, FL
Have been shopping for new intake manifolds, as the Typhoon is gone. Have been doing some reading and researching and came across this article, with included dyno sheet from a stock mustang GT. Mustang Intake Manifold - Two-Valve 4.6 Intake - 5.0 Mustang & Super Fords Magazine
The increase is low end torque looks amazing. Looks like it will accept a standard throttle body as well, instead of requiring the twin-throttle body. Have been following a P-51 intake listed on eBay, but researched that and found that without a cowl hood I may damage my stock hood, or in the intake. Does anyone use on of these Track Heats? Is the low end as powerful as the dyno sheet shows (it also shows low torque losses on the high end, but large HP gains). If my stock TB will fit on this, I may pull the trigger on one of these ASAP. My typhoon had awful low end but screaming high end.

• Sponsors (?)

I opened the excel dyno comparison chart on the last page and something isn't right at all! The torque column for the baseline is completely wrong... pretty much showing hp from some other run they did. Because that torque column is completely wrong, the torque gained column is bogus too.

If you look at the power difference, it has only slight gains until 4800rpm, where the gains become much bigger.

Typhoon went to a new owner via craigslist. I had planned on using the proceeds to go towards a P-51 until I found out about the trouble with putting them under a stock hood. Typhoon did a good job of providing a safe intake to spray nitrous with, but it seemed like it sapped my low end. After researching further into the intake, it appears that heat soak may have been the culprit. It was a solid - very solid, intake manifold.

even if you disregard the stock/basline runs - looking at the Track Heat torque numbers from down low is very impressive. When I had my car dyno tuned, the stock torque numbers were in the low 100's down low as well.

I've seen a dyno with a ported head/cam combo comparing a stock PI and the track heat. Basically it lost alot power down low and didn't gain anything until 6k rpm. That 5.0 mustang dyno comparison had that mistake in power numbers even in the actual magazine. There's no way it could gain even close to that much torque without swapping in a 5.4l.

I think putting in a stage 1 cam would be the same cost if you can do it yourself but with more benefits than a manifold.

Interesting, but it's a magazine test.

Don't believe a single thing that any magazine says. They are paid for producing articles. Conflict of interest in some cases.

Stark, please don't waste a penny on this without much more testing by the top performance shops/mod motor guys that can be verified. The stock intake is fine and is not that restrictive.

Interesting, but it's a magazine test.

Don't believe a single thing that any magazine says. They are paid for producing articles. Conflict of interest in some cases.

Stark, please don't waste a penny on this without much more testing by the top performance shops/mod motor guys that can be verified. The stock intake is fine and is not that restrictive.

+1 on this post as I agree 100%.

Remember, HP is calculated from a function of RPM and TQ. So a question you should be asking is: At the same RPM, how can an engine make more power but less TQ than another, mathematiclly it is not possible...

It's hard to me that a bone stock GT made 236RWHP. Most of us are around 240-250 with exhaust. My 2V has an H-pipe, catback and a Steeda CAI and made 241RWHP. No tune, no headers, no throttle body of MAF.

YouTube - 2003 Mustang GT Dyno - Bone Stock
Stock Mustang GT with weld in mufflers making 231 RWHP on a dyno - baseline test before other mods.
Not totally unbelievable. But yeah - I don't believe anything in magazine ads. I wanted to see if anyone could vouch for the low end power - as the other intake manifold I owned sucked the life out of my low end. I've researched the cam option - but my local tuner quoted me at 1200 bucks for install + tune of stage 2 and springs - with my parts. I've heard that I could install stage 1's myself, but I feel that I don't have that type of mechanical experience.

stark77, if you had bought that issue of 5.0 and then the following issue the printed a correction about the numbers that i guess they never posted on there site. the manifold was also tested on procharger equiped stang in mm&ff it only gained 15 or so rwhp but didnt loose anything on the low end. have you looked into the hps hardballer? you can get it for less then $600.

It been shown many times that the aftermarket intake manifolds are not worth the money unless you have ported heads. Even with cams, the heads can't really outflow the stock PI intake.

I sprayed many a bottle through a pi intake with no problems, if that what your worried about. Just make sure your nitrous system is set up right,.