Trouble Removing Pinion Gear

Discussion in '1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-' started by sen2two, Feb 19, 2014.

1. sen2two

sen2two Active Member

I have a complete explorer rear and im pulling out the 3.73 ring and pinion to put in my fox. I dissasembled the fox 8.8 first with no problems. When it came time to remove the pinion gear from the exploder rear, it dosnt want to come out. On the fox rear all I did was remove the 1-1/16 nut and tapped it lightly and it fell right out into my hand.

I was banging on the exlorer pinion pretty hard (piece of wood to protect the threaded area) and nothing. It's been soaking in PB blaster for a while and maybe that will help.

But just incase, is there something else in the explorer rear that retains the pinion gear?

2. Fordfreak93

Fordfreak93 Member

Does the pinion spin at all? Could just be corroded and stubborn. The 8.8 is the same as the fox (except the splines). The pinion nut should be the only thing holding it in place.

3. RangerJoe

RangerJoe Advanced Member

Showcase:
    Albums:
    What he said. Makes me wonder if the bearings are seized up? Did the seal appear to be in good shape? A slight tap should release it. I am a big fan of using heat to get things apart. You could try a propane torch to expand the bearing and help it come apart. Just don't plan on reusing the bearing afterwards and I would closely inspect the pinion as well.

Joe

4. sen2two

sen2two Active Member

I got my war hammer out, and after a few hard hits, it popped right out...

thanks.

5. Grabbin' Asphalt

Grabbin' Asphalt Mustang Master

Showcase:
    Albums:
    Yes the BFH time!!! :D

6. sen2two

sen2two Active Member

Just to be sure, If I set my preload on the pinion nut, and there is some in and out play, is there a problem? Or is this normal?