Trouble Starting 88

Discussion in '1974 - 1978 Mustang II Talk & Tech' started by EDubbz, Mar 6, 2014.

1. EDubbz

EDubbz New Member

Ok so I just got an 88 Gt convert 5 Spd,bone stock. It sat for 7 yrs in a garage . It was started and fueled up and ran fine. Now it cranks and no start. It had a msd cap and rotor. It was carboned up so I cleaned it and it started again. Shut it down and no start again. I changed the ign module,started right up ,I shut it down,no start again. Checked cap,all carboned up again. Replaced with a stock one brand new. No start again. Checked fuel pressure,good, checked spark,good,checked and got 12 volt at fuel injector. Didnt check for pulse. Pushed gas pedal down
    1/4 way down it attempted to fire but battery died. (Tried to trick ect by pressing gas pedal). Any help would be appreciated. I also checked fusable links for continuity and all appears well .the temp gauge worked and dash lights all work and all accessories work in car as well.
  2. LILCBRA

LILCBRA Member

You might have better luck posting in the Fox forum section. But, fwiw, I had issues similar to this with my Cobra a couple years ago. Turned out to be a loose ground wire that I had overlooked. Also, a LONG time ago, I had a stock 302 II that did something similar. It would run great then die, then it would restart when it cooled down (wasn't overheating, was running a normal temperature). The problem there was Champion spark plugs. Changed them to Autolites and never looked back.
  3. 4cammer72

4cammer72 Likes to drop it and leave it crusty lookin

those years of fords are known for the ignition switch on the column separating ..... they are pretty cheap to replace... id check there first....just 2 screws to get to it....