Troubled Codes

a91what

SendMeUrDataLog
Mod Dude
Apr 6, 2011
Hillsborough county
Ok so i have had one heck of a time trying to get all my issues figured out.. i had rough idle when cold start then die.... poping when cold the list goes on... since i have figured most of the mechanical issues out. I recently pulled codes i was only able to get codes with the engine off... I got code 15x2, 67x2, and then 1 five times with the chip ON. With the chip OFF i got 31x2, 67x2, 13x2, 1. With the car running and my chip on i got no codes no check engine light. With the chip off i got no codes and a constant check engine light. The car is an auto with a A9L pcm thats how it came, i have a A9P but it has a burn spot on the board. I dont believe i got code 11
Thanx

• Sponsors (?)

What kind of transmission do you have?

O2 Sensor harness interchange and modification

Originally Posted by 302EFI

Revised 16-Oct-2011 to add O2 sensor harness warnings
The wires for the 02's and low oil did not change throughout the years, they are all in the same place.
The main ones you need to worry about are (on the harness end (ECU) that plugs into the 02 plug) is:
\- 1. Lightblue / yellow
- 2. White / Purple
- 3. Purple / Yellow
The White/Purple & Purple/Yellow gets looped for a automatic ECU
The Purple/Yellow & Lightblue/Yellow for a manual ECU

See http://forums.corral.net/forums/gen...manual-auto-differences-year-differences.html for more O2 sensor wiring harness info

Basic premise to use with transmission swaps:
Only run a 5 speed trans O2 harness with an A9L. Do not run an Auto O2 sensor harness with an A9L. Doing so will damage the computer’s internal signal ground.
Only run an Auto trans O2 sensor harness with an A9P in a car that has an Auto trans. Using a 5 speed trans O2 sensor harness with an Auto trans will cause no crank problems.
See http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/749974-computer-issue.html#post7490537 for Joel5.0’s fix to the computer internal signal ground.

90 model year harness only works with 90 model cars without inspection/rework.
The 4 cylinder O2 harness uses 4 wire O2 sensors. It probably won’t work correctly without modifying it.

Ok i think i might have a problem.. i remember stealing parts off of my 90 hatch to finish my 91 and i think i got the o2 harness out of the 90... what do i have to do to make it work. I did not see a looped wire at the harness im looking under my MAF.

I got that all figured out and my ecu did not look burned after jumpering the wiring on o2 harness repulled codes.. still getting 67. But i read that you have to have the clutch pushed in on a manual i do not have the clutch pedal on my car... the neutral safety switch is bypassed it came that way..... is there something else i need to jumper under the dash to get it to give me codes??? i see another connector next to the one thats jumpered. it has a grey shell and a light blue/y and grey/r wire nothing is plugged into it..

my car has no NSS and apparently to get it to stop givng the code67 i need to have this plugged in. the nss is only on 5 speed tranny and i dont have the 5 speed tranny harness does any body know how to jumper this circuit so i can pull codes and stop 6 7???

I got the car to give me codes!!!! i jumpered the clutch switch and repinned the o2 harness it had no jumper but i made one. I only got code 21 but the engine was cold going to ride out in the car tonight and let her breath. I had the ecu out for awhile so after running her for awhile ill post any new codes i get Thank you for all the help J! I had to read seven pages on that link you gave me but all the info was there.:hail:

KOEO 15, 29, 31, 56,66
KOER 4,11
15 is normal my chip causes it.
You definitely have some MAF problems. Check the wiring very closely and look at the sensor circuit board if you can get into it without damaging things. Look to burn spots and lifted traces on the circuit board. Remember that you need to replace the MAF sensor with one with the same part number that came with the housing. if you have an aftermarket MAF, this may get a little expensive.

Code 29 - Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) is an electronic sender mounted on the speedo pickup gear on the trans. It works the cruse control for both 5 speed and auto trans cars. The VSS is used to tell the computer to speed up the idle as you slow to a stop. This helps keep the engine from stalling when you slow down for a stop sign or stop light.
Check to see if the electrical connector is plugged into it. Clean the connector & contacts with non flammable brake parts cleaner prior to replacing the sensor, as that may fix the problem. The sensor cost is under $30 and it is easy to replace.

CODE: 31 (KOEO) - EVP circuit below minimum voltage. Vref (5 volt reference voltage supplied by the computer) missing or broken wire or bad connection in circuit. Use a DVM to check for 5 volts on the orange/white wire. If it is missing, look for +5 volts at the orange/white wire on the TPS or MAP sensor located on the firewall near the center of the car. Use the black/white wire for the ground for the DVM.
With the sensor removed from the EGR and still connected, press the plunger and watch the voltage change on the brown/lt green wire. Pull the passenger side kick panel and measure the voltage at the computer. You will need to remove the plastic cover over the wires and probe them from the backside. A safety pin may prove very useful for this task. Use pin 27, EVR input (brown/lt green wire) and pin 46, signal ground (black/white wire) to measure the voltage. The orange/white wire is Vref and should always be 5 volts -/+ .25 volt. Be sure to measure Vref at the EGR sensor to rule out any broken wires or bad connections.
Measuring the voltage at the computer helps you spot broken wiring and intermittent connections.
See the graphic for the 10 pin connector circuit layout.
salt-pepper-10-pin-connectors-65-jpg.68512

Code 56 MAF - output voltage too high. Failed MAF sensor, short between
MAF sensor and heater or short in wiring between pin A (12 volts) and pins C or D.

There are three parts in a MAF: the heater, the sensor element and the amplifier.
The heater heats the MAF sensor element causing the resistance to increase.
The amplifier buffers the MAF output signal and has a resistor that is laser
trimmed to provide an output range compatible with the computer's load tables.

The MAF output varies with RPM which causes the airflow to increase or
decease. The increase of air across the MAF sensor element causes it to cool,
allowing more voltage to pass and telling the computer to increase the fuel flow.
A decrease in airflow causes the MAF sensor element to get warmer, decreasing
the voltage and reducing the fuel flow. Measure the MAF output at pins C & D
on the MAF connector (dark blue/orange and tan/light blue) or at pins 50 & 9
on the computer.

At idle = approximately .6 volt
20 MPH = approximately 1.10 volt
40 MPH = approximately 1.70 volt
60 MPH = approximately 2.10 volt

Disconnect the MAF sensor, battery negative post and computer connector.
The computer connector is located under the passenger side kick panel & is
secured by a single 10 MM bolt. Do not make any resistance checks
without disconnecting the connectors. You will get incorrect readings.

Check the resistance between the MAF signal wiring and power.
Pin D on the MAF (dark blue/orange wire) and Pin A (red wire) should be
1 megohm or higher (meter shows infinite resistance or open circuit.).
Pin C on the MAF (tan/light blue wire) and Pin A (red wire) should be
1 megohm or higher (meter shows infinite resistance or open circuit.).

See the following website for some help from Tmoss (diagram designer) & Stang&2Birds (website host)

http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/engine/images/fuel-alt-links-ign-ac.gif

88-91eecPinout.gif

Code 66 MAF below minimum test voltage.
Insufficient or no voltage from MAF. Dirty MAF element, bad MAF, bad MAF wiring, missing power to MAF. Check for missing +12 volts on this circuit. Check the two links for a wiring diagram to help you find the red wire for computer power relay switched +12 volts. Check for 12 volts between the red and black wires on the MAF heater (usually pins A & B). while the connector is plugged into the MAF. This may require the use of a couple of safety pins to probe the MAF connector from the back side of it.

There are three parts in a MAF: the heater, the sensor element and the amplifier. The heater heats the MAF sensor element causing the resistance to increase. The amplifier buffers the MAF output signal and has a resistor that is laser trimmed to provide an output range compatible with the computer's load tables.

The MAF element is secured by 2 screws & has 1 wiring connector. To clean the element, remove it from the MAF housing and spray it down with electronic parts cleaner or non-inflammable brake parts cleaner (same stuff in a bigger can and cheaper too).

Changes in RPM causes the airflow to increase or decease, changing the voltage output.. The increase of air across the MAF sensor element causes it to cool, allowing more voltage to pass and telling the computer to increase the fuel flow. A decrease in airflow causes the MAF sensor element to get warmer, decreasing the voltage and reducing the fuel flow.

Measure the MAF output at pins C & D on the MAF connector (dark blue/orange and tan/light blue) or at pins 50 & 9 on the computer. Be sure to measure the sensor output by measuring across the pins and not between the pins and ground.

At idle = approximately .6 volt
20 MPH = approximately 1.10 volt
40 MPH = approximately 1.70 volt
60 MPH = approximately 2.10 volt

Check the resistance of the MAF signal wiring. Pin D on the MAF and pin 50 on the computer (dark blue/orange wire) should be less than 2 ohms. Pin C on the MAF and pin 9 on the computer (tan/light blue wire) should be less than 2 ohms.

There should be a minimum of 10K ohms between either pin C or D on the MAF wiring connector and pins A or B. Make your measurement with the MAF disconnected from the wiring harness.

See the following website for some help from Tmoss (diagram designer) & Stang&2Birds (website host) for help on 88-95 wiring http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/engine/

Ignition switch wiring
http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/engine/images/IgnitionSwitchWiring.gif

Fuel pump, alternator, ignition & A/C wiring
http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/engine/images/fuel-alt-links-ign-ac.gif

Computer,. actuator & sensor wiring
http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/engine/images/88-91_5.0_EEC_Wiring_Diagram.gif

Fuse panel layout
http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/engine/images/MustangFuseBox.gif

Vacuum routing
http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/engine/images/mustangFoxFordVacuumDiagram.jpg

ok does it matter for the evp if i have all of it deleted? my chip is burned for the delete.
I will check the MAF, I do not have the factory housing.... i replaced it with a C&L unit. The MAF in the car is brand new, the guy at the parts store said there was no differance in the sensor so he ordered me whatever.....
The car is getting a reading from the MAF i unplugged it at idle and the car damn near died, I do get a random pop when i hammer the throttle though.
The car does seem to run a bit rich, especially at idle.
Thanx.

ok checked all my resistances, got nothing signal to power or signal to ground.. nothing signal to signal...
Got 1.2-1.3 ohms ecu side to maf side on both signal wires. did get 12v to ground
I got 1.08-1.14 volts at an idle 800rpm..... this is my rich condition.....
The MAF housing is a C&L 73mm for 24lb injectors... I have to use a factory maf sensor, Not sure if it matters what sensor i have to use, if it has to be matched to the ecu... Or if its just a bad sensor... The sensor is new got it a month ago from advanced.

The ECU & MAF sensor have to match each other for the C&L MAF body to work properly. Give the auto parts place the numbers from your computer and see if they can match it to a year, model and engine size. Then use that information to find the correct MAF sensor.

cool thanx i will give that a try i fiddled with everything and ran the codes again and now it just gives me 15,31,11
As far as the numbers on the computer where do i look for them i know its an A9L but are there any other significant numbers maybe under the cover?

If it has the A9L sticker on it, you need a MAF sensor from an 89 Mustang 5.0 manual transmission.

Here are the numbers on the MAF sensor:
E9ZF-12B579-AA,
AFH55-0

Ok i deleted my charcoal canister it stunk like raw fuel. ill replace it when i can. The MAF unit i have reads the same numbers as my original which i thought was bad the numbers on the original are E9ZF-12B579-AA AFH55-03
is there a differance between the one you listed and the one i have???
I wish i would have steered away from the c&L its total crap.

I'm looking at the engine compartment you are using for your avatar. Where does the CAI end and where does it pull air from? The C&L MAF is only supposed to be used with the stock airbox. Use a cone filter located in the engine compartment and you can have some very weird problems.

I tried both ways... it is a BBK CAI and its routed into the fender to pull in cold air.. i checked with C&L my sample tube is correct for a CAI.... I have a Brown sample tube in a 73mm housing running it on a CAI.
Im ready to put a o-ring in the sample tube so less air hits the MAF to bring the voltage down.
Could my problem be that i am running a TB thats larger than my MAF?