trunk access to fuel pump

rjpetr

Dec 17, 2002
Tampa FL
Has anyone figured out a way to get to the fuel pump and wiring without having to drop the tank? Like cutting an access panel in the trunk or expanding the access hole that is there? How safe is it to make the access hole bigger in the trunk? I need to get at the connector but don't want to drop the tank. If I press on the connector I can hear the pump turn on and off so the wiring or connector is intermittent.

I would like advice from anyone that may have done this access hole expansion or any other ideas.

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

rjpetr said:
Has anyone figured out a way to get to the fuel pump and wiring without having to drop the tank? Like cutting an access panel in the trunk or expanding the access hole that is there? How safe is it to make the access hole bigger in the trunk? I need to get at the connector but don't want to drop the tank. If I press on the connector I can hear the pump turn on and off so the wiring or connector is intermittent.

I would like advice from anyone that may have done this access hole expansion or any other ideas.

Thanks
first, I think either way you'll have to take your tank out to make an access hole or access the connector. If it were me (and I've had to do that alot) I would take the strap off the driver's side, which will probably drop the tank just enough to get to the connector better. If you have to take it farther then do so.

Taking the tank out is a snap. Done it bunches of times on various stangs. Remove the bolts from the two straps, lower it about 4-5 inches using a jack, disconnect the lines, disconnect the harness, disconnect the vapor line going up to the canister, takes a minute for each. Lay it on the ground, twist a threaded lock, pull out the pump carefully, put the new one back in the same way you twisted the old one out. Lift it back up and reverse procedure. It's really easy. You'd have to have some major big hole or multi holes in your car to get to the pump, lines, wire harness to do what you are considering.

140cilx said:
Taking the tank out is a snap. Done it bunches of times on various stangs. Remove the bolts from the two straps, lower it about 4-5 inches using a jack, disconnect the lines, disconnect the harness, disconnect the vapor line going up to the canister, takes a minute for each. Lay it on the ground, twist a threaded lock, pull out the pump carefully, put the new one back in the same way you twisted the old one out. Lift it back up and reverse procedure. It's really easy. You'd have to have some major big hole or multi holes in your car to get to the pump, lines, wire harness to do what you are considering.

its only a snap if the bolts on the straps aren't rusted to hell. It took me 2 hours to get those 2 bolts out. oh and I couldn't move my arms for about 2 days afterwards.