Trunk Lid Help

iuden

Jan 8, 2015
I just bought a 2002 Mustang coupe and the trunk lid doesn't line up correctly. Its not so much side to side off but it needs to be moved back closer to the window. I've taken the latch off and even taken the lid itself off but I don't see anywhere that would bring it back to line up correctly. Its almost like the hinges are in the wrong location. It looks like the hinges are welded in place but I have no clue maybe its just some kind of filler that was painted. Do they unscrew from the car? Is this an easy fix or something I'm better off paying money at a body shop? My first thought was the guy that I bought the car used a trunk from an incorrect model but after doing some measuring it just looks like its just seated incorrectly.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Dennis

• Sponsors (?)

Can you post pictures? Is the alignment off just near the window, or also off where it meets the rear edge of the taillights and rear fenders (the vertical portions)? I have a gap between the window and trunk. It is "filled" by a rubber flap that prevents me from seeing the bottom of the glass edge.

If you can post a picture, we can let you know if it off, or as normal. Also, open the trunk and see if it is a FORD trunk, or aftermarket that might have been placed there after an accident.

Thanks,
J