Trying to find the start years for different Mustang Magazines

85_SS_302_Coupe

it sucks (I know) to be on the receiving end
15 Year Member
Nov 11, 2003
Northern KY
I've just come into about 100+ Mustang magazines to add to my collection (i'm up to probably 250 or so), and it dawned on me that i'm not even sure what year they all started in so i don't know how far back they go. The earliest i've got of MM+FF is '93, i've got 5.0 back to '98 but i know they changed their name from Super Fords at some point which i have back to i think '88. I've been searching but all i can find is stupid websites trying to get me to buy a subscription. Does anyone know what the starting years where for each mag?

• Sponsors (?)

250 mags! PPPFFFTTTTT!!! I have about that many of MM&FF by itself, and probably the same of 5.0 and Superfords! :D I quit subscribing to MM&FF the last couple of years because everything is either racing or all new car stuff. I have the first years of MM&FF, and even have their predecessor magazine, Cars Illustrated. They came out in late 87 I believe it was. I know it was a few months after I got my car. I believe 5.0 came out shortly thereafter. I would go through them, but I have about a 4'x6' wall of magazines in my closet!

Oh, and SuperFords and 5.0 were separate mags. They combined them into one mag several years ago.

Evan Smith emailed me back and sent me a sweet pic of the first MM+FF cover. "Fall 1988" was all he responded with the attached pic (dude must be busy...lol). It has a very similar logo as the current MM+FF mags but slightly different and it does say in small print "Cars Illustrated Special" above the logo. So i guess for "MM+FF" i go back to '88 or '89.

Evan Smith emailed me back and sent me a sweet pic of the first MM+FF cover. "Fall 1988" was all he responded with the attached pic (dude must be busy...lol). It has a very similar logo as the current MM+FF mags but slightly different and it does say in small print "Cars Illustrated Special" above the logo. So i guess for "MM+FF" i go back to '88 or '89.

Post it, man!

I also have a large collection, here is a few old ones I found Hot Rod Magazine "Mustang" fall 1984 vol.2 no.3 SUPER FORD July 1988 Fabulous Mustangs and Exotic Fords May 1985

HRM goes waaaaaay back. IIRC, the first HRM magazine was back in the 40s or 50s. I have a reprint of the first issue somewhere.