Engine Trying to finish my motor off...

Trying to finish the engine off... First off i should point out that i'm not looking to build an all out drag car. I'm really just looking for a decent combination that’s got some decent punch to it and yet reliable enough to take to Carlisle PA every year (about a 7hr drive).

I had the whole engine rebuilt 2 yrs ago. At the time I was dealing with some budget constraints so I figured I could come back to finish some things off later.

My current set up is as follows: 302 block bored to 304, Hypereutic Pistons, Cobra upper and lower intake, Stock Cam (speed density), 70mm TB, Ported E7 heads (my next item of attention), BBK CAI, 19 lb accel injectors, 190lph Walbro, Kirban Adj FPR, MSD Blaster TFI coil, MSD Dizzy, Ford Racing Wires, Lincoln electric fan conversion., Brothers Shorty Headers, Full custom exhaust (2.25) w 2 highflow cats and 2 glass pack mufflers. The car is speed density, stock computer and still has to pass emissions (full smog system intact)

Basically what I’ve created is a motor that breathes well up top, and flows great out the bottom ,but jams up in the middle!!

My plan is as follows… Purchase Ford Racing x307 heads (58cc), Comp Cams 1.7 RR (1054-16) and run with my stock cam (in order to keep the computer happy)

The question is if I go this route will I see some improvement on the performance side of things and yet still be emission/speed density safe?

Sorry for the long post,

S~

PS does anyone know if the 1054-16 fit under stock height valve covers??

• Sponsors (?)

Unless you bought those heads, I would suggest either a set of TW 170's or AFR 165's as an alternative. IMO they are much better heads for about the same money. If you go to 1.7 RR, you should be fine but I would check the PTV clearance. If I remember that should put you around the same lift as B cam. You will also want to step up to at least 24 lbers as the stock 19lbers will be maxed out at about 285 hp. That brings up the SD/MAF issue. The stock SD is not as forgiving and I've seen guys put heads and cam changes with no problems. Others have chased surging idles and poor driveability. My 87 came SD and i finally swapped to MAF when I put a Vortech on it, but I did have an HCI swap on it with a JMS chip and it was tuned and it ran great.

You can get a chip or tune burned for about the same price as a junkyard MAF swap. MAF & harness. MAP sensor,A9L, etc and have room to grow. IMO I would swap to a MAF now for driveabliity, tuning, and if you want to do more mods. Just my 2 cents. Good luck with whatever you decide.

good point mike i agree my bet is somewhere along the way he will get rid of sd so no time better than now and i figured he already bought the heads i agree if not with your two choices

Thanks for the replies guys. To answer your question i haven't purchased the heads yet. Just looking at options to compliment what i already have. So i'm guessing i should have bought the 24lb injetors when i rebuilt the motor last time around huh... Oh well if its needed then its needed. I looked at both of the heads suggested. I know the afr's are like the holy grayle of heads but if i throw to much more money at my car my fiance is going to shoot me! LOL

I'm now leaning towards the TW's. But this now leads me to another question... Do i really need to switch to MA? If possible i would like to stick with the stock cam and SD... I tend to be the guy who is more than willing to try something just cuz someone said it couldn't be done.. Let me know your thoughts

Switch to mass air, just get it over with.

As for the heads, i like the x heads, just not at twisted wedge pricing.
$650 for a used set, i'll take them all day, $1000+for new ones, no way.

Get a pro m 95mm meter, some TW's, a cam, 24's and be done with it.

Ok i will keep the mass air swap in the back of my mind... If i try the combo as is without mass air and it doesn't work (which yes you can say "i told you so") i will switch it over. Thanks for info,
S~

The worst that can happen is that it runs like ass. So just try it out. Good luck.
Not to be a Debby Downer, though, but I think it'll run like ass when you put the better heads and 1.7's on. It'll most likely throw the speed density set up for a loop.

MAF conversion you're probably looking at about $50 for the MAF conversion pigtail harness, $100 for the computer, and about $225 for a calibrated MAF for whichever injectors you decide to go with. That's about what I spent I think.