Trying to locate a potential electrical short

Aftrbrnr

Whitey cashier gave me the wrong change at the sup
Founding Member
Feb 19, 2000
Canaduh
Today after work (I work for eight hours) I went to go to my car and try and start it. It didn't even turn over at all, not even the sound of the starter clicking. Nothing electrical in the car worked, not even the horn. I thought initially the battery was dead so I called roadside assistance and they tried to boost me. After connecting the tow truck's booster to the battery, the car still wouldn't turn over. It was when the tow truck driver played around with the battery cables that the car started and all electrical features began to function again. He theorized there maybe a short some where, which I agree is a plausible theory.

A possible theory I have for what might have caused this was on Sunday I washed out the engine bay at a commercial wand wash set at "engine cleaner". I think in that process, I might've shorted something out but I'm not sure.

If there is a short in the electrical system, what's the easiest way to find it?

• Sponsors (?)

Sounds like you have corrosion on your battery cable connections, starter solenoid connections or a rotting cable (the rot from the inside out).

Sounds like you have corrosion on your battery cable connections, starter solenoid connections or a rotting cable (the rot from the inside out).

Yep, sounds like whoever installed the battery either didnt get a terminal tight enough, or didnt clean the inside of the terminals, or a worn out cable like posted before... i have also seen brand new batteries have a shorted cell in them, which the parts store that you bought it from can check for that and should warranty it if thats the case.