Fox Trying To Replace 2.3

Jc1989

Mar 28, 2016
Hope I don't get a lot of heat for wanting to replace my 2.3 instead of doing a V8 conversion, but that is just not feasible at the moment. A Fox Body Mustang had been my dream car for the last couple years and I finally got the chance to own one. It is a '90 LX 2.3 liter. It ran when i bought it and supposedly had a blown head gasket (white smoked like crazy). Long story short, the motor is BAD, actually had a melted piston. I am just trying to figure out what I need to know to find a replacement motor for the time being. From what I understand, the Mustang 2.3's were basically the same from 1987 to 1990, I know before was carbureted and after was the DIS. Is there anything else I need to know before I buy a replacement motor? Was the intake port shape the same from 1987 to 1990?

• Sponsors (?)

Just looking for drop in replacement. Don't wanna have to change the harness or computer. I would just put a 5.0 in it if that was the case.

You don't have to do either. The engine is the same, you just have to swap the auxiliary shaft and install the distributor. The intake is also different but may be usable. You get a little more power out of the later engine.

Anyway, just go to car-part.com and plug in the information. Salvage yards will list available engines, including direct fit from other vehicles. The ranger engine from the same years may work but may have to swap oil pans iirc.

You don't have to do either. The engine is the same, you just have to swap the auxiliary shaft and install the distributor. The intake is also different but may be usable. You get a little more power out of the later engine.

Anyway, just go to car-part.com and plug in the information. Salvage yards will list available engines, including direct fit from other vehicles. The ranger engine from the same years may work but may have to swap oil pans iirc.

Thanks. I appreciate the information.