Trying to select the right carb.

I recently came across a 1984 GLX Vert cheap, the add says runs, wont pass smog, needs new carb. While I realize there's probably far more to it not passing smog than a carb I would like to know what carb to buy for the car in the event that the rest of the car is in reasonable shape when I go to take a look at it. I've come across a dozen different carbs for the car, manual choke, electronic choke, etc. :shrug: I'm hoping for find a carb for the car for less than $400, I intend on it being a project car but I don't intend on seeing it become a money pit from day one. Any ideas or advice are very welcome.

• Sponsors (?)

If its a manual a mechanical secondary holley double pumper would suffice. 600cfm or so for the size. Choke os personal preference. I like the manual choke because I dont use it anyways.

It's an automatic and I'm torn between two carbs. A 600, a 650 (both Edelbrock), and a 670 holly...the 650 has a quick tune secondary air valve set up which caught my eye...problem is aside from motorcycles I have little to no experience with carburetors so I really don't know what I'm looking at here or which way to go.:nonono:

On a side note I know the older 5.0s were dogs, is this a terminal issue or are they easily woken up via cams, exhaust, etc...standard bolt-ons like a later gen fox body.

Yeah the auto is killing you, the cam is garbage in those cars (flat tappet still in 84 i believe) You could find a motor out of an 87+ car and throw a carb on it and be alot better off.

Well I'm not opposed to changing the cams, installing a shift kit, etc...but if the car is pretty much a lost cause then I guess I'll be going with the LT1 Trans Am parked next to it. Both are parked on a discount lot for dirt cheap, both run reasonably well, but if the Stang is a lost cause then I'll go with the other one for my project car seeing as the LT1 is a pretty well proven engine. I'll pick up a 87+ for next summer.:nice:

Not so sure an lt1 is any kind of proven engine, until the LS series of engines came out, 5.0's were owning f bodies daily. There is a reason lt1 cars are dirt cheap, nobody wants them.
Shop around and find an 89 and newer 5.0, probably the best project car in history.