TSX gone! WRX coming!

• Sponsors (?)

Silver, all stock, with 50,068 miles.

Now......this car is going to be my daily driver........so I'm ONLY going to throw a FEW basic (but of course necessary) mods at it:

AEM cold-air intake, Borla headers/catback, turn the boost up, blow-off valve, aftermarket intercooler, and a tune.

WHEW! That's gonna be a fast ass mother ****er...........just going back and forth to work of course. :D

I mean....SERIOUSLY.....an all wheel drive vehicle MUST have at least 300hp to safely operate on snow and ice. :rlaugh: :rlaugh: :rlaugh:

Well I owned a 2004 WRX for a year, and Im a tech at an acura dealership... heres my 2cents

Keep the TSX.

The WRX is a great car and I loved mine, however they have problems with rod bearings spinning pretty regularly. When this happens, you need to have all maintenance records from a subaru dealership before you even think of getting it warrantied. I know this because I spun a bearing myself by hitting the rev limiter once.... just once.

Subaru would not cover me because I didnt have a Subie dealership do all of my maintenance. Since I did my own work, I didnt have any reciepts. Even with proper maintenance records, Subaru has a hard time handing out any warranty work. Any WRX or STI with a motor or transmission (they blow syncros all the time too) warranty concern has to be checked out by an adjuster, hired by subie to basically try to prove you modified, raced or neglected it.

Long story short, Im still making payments on my WRX and I sold it in January with a blown motor.

The TSX on the other hand is a solid car. The main problem with them is the headlights get moisture in them if the free recall isnt performed :rolleyes: . Acura also has an incredible warranty system. Sucks when you work as a tech, but its great for the owner. 4 years, 50K is the factory warranty that goes with the car wherever it goes. Extended warranties can be bought obviously.

So I guess if you plan to buy the subie, modify it, then remove all modifications each time you get it serviced, then go for it. Otherwise, good luck. Im not trying to knock your decision, Just sharing some of my past experiences.

P.S. AEM's intake for the WRX causes it to run lean... go with Cobb, or Perin.

Get the Up pipe and down pipe, I hear the make a big difference. Get the scuby they are kinda cool. Hell I owned one for a year before I got sick of it (im fat) :)

P.S. :worthlesb

WOW! I had no idea this car was going to be THIS quick! I purchased my WRX last Saturday and have been almost NON-stop driving this thing all day Saturday, Sunday, and every chance I've gotten on my work breaks today.

I mean ****! I can't TAKE a corner with this thing fast enough. It just sticks to the ground like glue. Plus, the TD04 turbo pulls harder than I ever thougt it would before driving it the first time. It's a 2004, it's silver, and I dropped a K&N filter in it.

Just dropping the K&N in it makes the turbo spool up faster and harder. You can hear it louder too. GREAT car! Absolutely fanTASTIC to drive. It's almost addicting.

So now I officially have a WRX as a daily driver, and a Subaru smokin' Mustang for the weekends. Life can't POSSIBLY get any better for me right now.

Hey nisreo,

You're right on about BOTH cars. The TSX was a GREAT car, but whoever put the aftermarket clutch in it forgot to re-surface the flywheel, which made shifting a pain in the ass. I could be wrong, but driving a manual is rough enough without having to feel the clutch chatter everytime you let it out.

But...you're right about the foggy headlights. I had that problem along with the squeaky clutch pedal. Of course I didn't own it long enough for the a/c compressor to go out but that's also a big design flaw on the '04 TSX's.

In any event, I've done ABSOLUTELY NOTHING but read about the WRX ALL weekend long. I've come across terminologies I've never even heard before......

MBC
TBE
TMIC
FMIC

......but after doing some searching......I've come to these conclusions.....

MBC = manual boost controller
TBE = turbo-back exhaust
TMIC = top-mount intercooler
FMIC = front-mount intercooler

......basically turbo-charged vehicles are in a league of their own, and I can't WAIT to learn all I can about them. I don't think there's ANYTHING cooler than owning a domestic american muscle vehicle which owns everything on the streets (almost), and having a turbocharged AWD vehicle for the day-to-day driving which will walk by MOST cars on the road. ANYTHING from a dead stop at least. :nice:

Of course after doing all this reading about the WRX I've come across quite a few threads where owners have spun their rod bearings, and it seems that everyone who's done it has been guilty of using Mobil 1 synthetic oil. NOW.....I have NO idea if these problems are CAUSED by the Mobil 1 oil (in fact I doubt that's the case) but in any event I made sure to purchase Valvoline fully synthetic instead of using my usual Mobile 1 which I regularly put into the Mustang every few months. I've also read that these are very GOOD engines and if taken care of properly should last up to 300,000 miles. Even my domestic mechanics have agreed with this last statement. Either way, I've at least done my homework and am prepared for whatever the future may hold for my little WRX. I'm really not scared either way, b/c I have guys who can work on ANYTHING I bring them. And they want my hotrods to runnin as bad as I do. Hell, they want to ride in 'em on the weekends, so they'll get the job done as fast as time allows. Anyway, I love the car and have also done quite a bit of reading in the modification threads to get some sort of idea on how i will go about modding this car in the future. Good thing is, is I won't have to dump NEARLY the amount of money in this vehicle as I was planning on dumping into the TSX. With this new Subaru, I'm planning on keeping it real.......for now anyways.

I will probably end up doing the COBB exhaust and getting a tune. Should be in the low 13s since I'm a great driver. Could be wrong though.

Silver, all stock, with 50,068 miles.

Now......this car is going to be my daily driver........so I'm ONLY going to throw a FEW basic (but of course necessary) mods at it:

AEM cold-air intake, Borla headers/catback, turn the boost up, blow-off valve, aftermarket intercooler, and a tune.

WHEW! That's gonna be a fast ass mother ****er...........just going back and forth to work of course. :D

I mean....SERIOUSLY.....an all wheel drive vehicle MUST have at least 300hp to safely operate on snow and ice. :rlaugh: :rlaugh: :rlaugh:

DO NOT do an Intake.. the stock intake with dropin filter is fine. Subaru's dont like aftermarket intakes. Also DO NOT DO A BOV!! they are SOOOO bad for a subaru. It does nothing for performance, and hurts the engine in the long run. Up pipe, and Turbo Back Exhaust, run stage 2 and you will be in awe and have a sick ass DD.. Check out Nasioc.com awesome place for subaru stuff. :nice: I myself am going to purchas another WRX next summer. Im partial to the bugeyes though (I had an 03 wrx)

Well I owned a 2004 WRX for a year, and Im a tech at an acura dealership... heres my 2cents

Keep the TSX.

The WRX is a great car and I loved mine, however they have problems with rod bearings spinning pretty regularly. When this happens, you need to have all maintenance records from a subaru dealership before you even think of getting it warrantied. I know this because I spun a bearing myself by hitting the rev limiter once.... just once.

Subaru would not cover me because I didnt have a Subie dealership do all of my maintenance. Since I did my own work, I didnt have any reciepts. Even with proper maintenance records, Subaru has a hard time handing out any warranty work. Any WRX or STI with a motor or transmission (they blow syncros all the time too) warranty concern has to be checked out by an adjuster, hired by subie to basically try to prove you modified, raced or neglected it.

Long story short, Im still making payments on my WRX and I sold it in January with a blown motor.

The TSX on the other hand is a solid car. The main problem with them is the headlights get moisture in them if the free recall isnt performed :rolleyes: . Acura also has an incredible warranty system. Sucks when you work as a tech, but its great for the owner. 4 years, 50K is the factory warranty that goes with the car wherever it goes. Extended warranties can be bought obviously.

So I guess if you plan to buy the subie, modify it, then remove all modifications each time you get it serviced, then go for it. Otherwise, good luck. Im not trying to knock your decision, Just sharing some of my past experiences.

P.S. AEM's intake for the WRX causes it to run lean... go with Cobb, or Perin.

this bearing spinning only really occurs under hard driving, and improper modding. Not many people at all have had issues with spinning bearings on stock wrx's that drive it sane. Same thing with the trannys, the STI tranny is built REALLY stout and can handle ALOT of abuse. The WRX tranny is a glass tranny however, BUT if you drive it sane and dont dump the clutch and powershift it holds up just fine