Tube Chassis for 68

What should I do with the coupe once stripped?

• Build a tube chassis race car.

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • Restore the car with original frame products.

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Forget it, it isn't worth it.

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters

67GTFastback

Founding Member
Dec 14, 2001
Calgary, Alberta
My buddy and I have this idea of building a race car out of my 68 coupe rather than crushing it once stripped. Since the torque boxes etc. are shot, we were thinking of going to a tube chassis, much like racin'jason did with his. Does anyone have any pics of this to give us an idea of how to do it? Thanks for your help.

• Sponsors (?)

66P51GT said:
What kind of racing? Drag, Road Race? and what class?

Drag, but I guess it was misleading to state that it would be a race car, more of a weekend drag car that we are going to build for the fun of it and experience. Would a tube chassis be street driveable? Thanks again. Since I have the car and it is in the process of being stripped, rather than just having it crushed I thought it would be fun and educational to tube it.

Making a tube-frame race car "street legal" would take far too much time and effort IMHO. Also, if you are going to go there might as well have fiberglass body and lexan windows since attaching the steel outer shell will be a B*tch.

If you're gonna do that then why not a fastback? Have you seen this site?

MUY-2B.gif

http://www.usbody.com/67-68 Mustang.htm

Attachments

• MUY-2B.gif
    MUY-2B.gif
    36.4 KB · Views: 247
Edbert said:
Making a tube-frame race car "street legal" would take far too much time and effort IMHO. Also, if you are going to go there might as well have fiberglass body and lexan windows since attaching the steel outer shell will be a B*tch.

If you're gonna do that then why not a fastback? Have you seen this site?

MUY-2B.gif

http://www.usbody.com/67-68 Mustang.htm

Actually, i don't think it would take anymore work to attach the steel body vs the glass one. It was a real pain when i built my trans am. Trying to find a good place to attach a brace, then fiberglass it in. On a steel body, the braces could be spot welded in place, plus the rocker panels would give a good place to weld the extensions from the chassis frame rails. The firewall could be left in place, so master cylinder, wipers etc could be left in place. Either way, fiberglass or steel, there is going to be a lot of work involved.
I look at mine sometimes after a few brews and think, uhmmm i wonder what it would look like with a tube chassis, roll cage, pinto/mustangII front end, 9", 4-link, yea-yea. Then i come back to reality, my wife would probably kill me.

Attachments

• MUY-2B.gif
    MUY-2B.gif
    36.4 KB · Views: 1,701