Tubular GT-40 intake

795.0pacecar

lover of pudgy polygamists
Jul 11, 2003
Senoia, GA
I just picked up a tubular GT-40 intake in a trade. I'm debating on whether or not to use it because on one hand it looks awesome, but on the other I'm afraid I might sacrifice some power by using it instead of the TFS track heat that I already have on my car.

I'm more worried about sacrificing power than looks because I really don't want to go through the trouble of swapping the intake just to end up with less power. I've read a few things that say with the GT-40 intake the engine will make more power than most after market ones up to around 5500rpms. If this is the case than I can justify swapping it because I'm sure the engine runs out of steam around there anyway.

What do you guys think?

• Sponsors (?)

I may just sell it. The more I think about it the more I don't want to put in the effort to swap them.

The intake is in great shape, there are just a few scuffs where the A/C line rubbed on it on the top right corner.

Have tmoss port the lower, chrome or polish the upper and throw that bad boy on.

Muscle Mustangs/Fast Fords super intake shootout
GT-40 vs. TFS R
A number of things are obvious from this graph. The first thing is that the TFS R made a great deal more power than the same motor equipped with a GT-40. Though 25 extra horsepower is nothing to sneeze at, the extra power was only available after 5500 rpm. Up to 5550 rpm, the modified GT-40 showed some pretty impressive gains from 3300 rpm all the way to 5550 rpm. Time and time again, the GT-40 continues to impress, though the TFS R intake clearly made more top-end power on this high-revving 347.
This is a dyno of a gt40 vs a tfs r intake.
173_0101_super22_z.jpg

Attachments

• 173_0101_super22_z.jpg
    173_0101_super22_z.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 102
Portings not an option because imo it would be money wasted considering I already have a better intake. Also that graph wouldn't really apply here because I have a track heat which has longer smaller runners than the R.

the real question is how high do you spin your motor. If its less than 6000 rpms the GT-40 will make more torqe and close to the same power up to around 5500-5700 then the TFS will take over. lets face it, your engine sees far less time above 5500 than it does below. Now if you revi it past 6500 regularly then I wouldnt even think about it. I have a ported GT-40 and a Victor 5.0 EFI. I was going to use the GT-40 over on my 347 but it will run to at least 6500 soI got another intake.

the above test was with a 347 with AFR 185 heads and a 292 advertised cam.............here is a 347 with AFR 165 heads and a mild 258 cam........

Seems trhe GT40 even in stock condition was a great intake..........

I'm starting to really consider it. Almost everything I've read so far suggests that the GT-40 will make more power than pretty much any intake out there up to 5500 rpms even in stock form. Since I do mostly street driving and my rev limiter is set at the stock 6250rpms, the Gt-40 seems like it would fit my combo better.

I think what I'm going to do is go to the dyno with the trickflow intake, then swap them out and go back. All I'll be out is the price of a few dyno runs and a couple sets of gaskets.

I'm starting to really consider it. Almost everything I've read so far suggests that the GT-40 will make more power than pretty much any intake out there up to 5500 rpms even in stock form. Since I do mostly street driving and my rev limiter is set at the stock 6250rpms, the Gt-40 seems like it would fit my combo better.

I think what I'm going to do is go to the dyno with the trickflow intake, then swap them out and go back. All I'll be out is the price of a few dyno runs and a couple sets of gaskets.

you can say your doing it for educational purposes:D