tune only?

• Sponsors (?)

You can simply tune the car for 91 or whatever you want. They respond beautifully to tuning.

Most people get tuning because you HAVE TO tune for most intakes. But you don't have to get an intake just because you want a tune. You just need to specify your setup when ordering your tunes.

You can simply tune the car for 91 or whatever you want. They respond beautifully to tuning.

Most people get tuning because you HAVE TO tune for most intakes. But you don't have to get an intake just because you want a tune. You just need to specify your setup when ordering your tunes.

yeah i know most intake require a tune, but i just didnt want to spend an extra $150 on an intake, and i just wanted to make sure it would be worth getting a tune only and no intake?

Do you have the tuner? Who are you going with? Before I bought my intake, I ran a Xcal2 with a VMP 93 octane mail order tune. The tune is only $59 and their tunes are flat out awesome and they've got a quick turn around time. It was a noticeable difference but than I added the C&L CAI with 88mm maf tube and it was another big difference. If you already have the tuner, wait until you can afford the intake. But if you don't I can understand buying the tuner now and than buying the intake when you can afford it since the tunes are only $59.

Do you have the tuner? Who are you going with? Before I bought my intake, I ran a Xcal2 with a VMP 93 octane mail order tune. The tune is only $59 and their tunes are flat out awesome and they've got a quick turn around time. It was a noticeable difference but than I added the C&L CAI with 88mm maf tube and it was another big difference. If you already have the tuner, wait until you can afford the intake. But if you don't I can understand buying the tuner now and than buying the intake when you can afford it since the tunes are only $59.

nah i dont have a tuner yet i was gonna go with bamachips (mines an automatic as well)

Doug is a good choice. I always recommend Justin with VMP Tuning because I've had great results with him but Doug is good. I don't really ever recommend Brenspeed. I do use them to buy parts, just haven't seen anything special about their tunes.

I have the BamaChips 91 and 87 performance tunes and the 91 torque tune, and just a K&N drop-in filter and and exhaust.

I'd say the "tune-only" is very much worth the expense and effort. The car is much more responsive, easily more powerful, and sounds better.

Here's what BamaChips shows with regard to stock V6, tune-only V6, and CAI + tune (you can extrapolate for the GT from there) :

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2189/2227805364_26ed214fd6_o.jpg

I've got the SCT Tuner-only (no CAI) from Brenspeed. It made a world of difference in the performance of the car. Currently running the 93 octane tune (not sure for how much longer). Even the regular octane tune made a huge difference over stock, as it completely eliminates the drive by wire throttle lag.

Dude, i say go with the tune only first. Then you can save up for the CAI. it looks like to me that the tune opens it up and then the CAI just adds to it. I don't think you'll be disappointed with just a tune. Oh yeah, let me know when you get it so i can take a ride with you.

Tune and MPG

I'm thinking the same thing. I have a couple of teen drivers so I really don't want to add horses right now, but I'd like to get rid of the throttle lag and tighten up the automatic shifts. Here is my question for those of you who are using the 87 tune only, what did it due to your mpg?

Thanks

I'm thinking the same thing. I have a couple of teen drivers so I really don't want to add horses right now, but I'd like to get rid of the throttle lag and tighten up the automatic shifts. Here is my question for those of you who are using the 87 tune only, what did it due to your mpg?

Why not just switch between the tunes when you know they are going to be driving it? It'll only take a few minutes, if that. Anyways about the mileage question, as long as your driving style stays the same, the mileage will be the same if not better. :nice:

Dude, i say go with the tune only first. Then you can save up for the CAI. it looks like to me that the tune opens it up and then the CAI just adds to it. I don't think you'll be disappointed with just a tune. Oh yeah, let me know when you get it so i can take a ride with you.
iigth sounds good, it will prob be in about 3 or 4 weeks though. also once i get moved out we need to take them to the track one thursday night

...I'd like to get rid of the throttle lag and tighten up the automatic shifts. Here is my question for those of you who are using the 87 tune only, what did it due to your mpg?

Thanks

I detuned my auto to 87 from 93 a few months ago once 93 reached $4/gal. I have the Brenspeed tunes. The biggest difference I feel is starting from a dead stop and there is a slight hesitation with light throttle pressure whereas the 9 tune had zero hesitation. Even with the 87 tune, I plant my right foot and she will spin the tires and chirp 2nd gear still(even with the 295 Nittos)! With the 93 tune I ran my shift pressures at +25%. Now with the 87 tune, I dropped them all back down to +5%(which is still better than stock)for more comfort in bumper to bumper traffic. Driving the speed limit or 5+ I'm getting around 20-22 MPG with mixed driving. I'm taking the Stang on a 6 hour trek to western PA this weekend and I will see just what kind of highway MPGs I can get with two adults, one kid and luggage in the car:nice: Last time it was just me and a gym bag and I got 23.77 with the shorter OEM tires and the 93 tune.

I detuned my auto to 87 from 93 a few months ago once 93 reached $4/gal. I have the Brenspeed tunes. The biggest difference I feel is starting from a dead stop and there is a slight hesitation with light throttle pressure whereas the 9 tune had zero hesitation. Even with the 87 tune, I plant my right foot and she will spin the tires and chirp 2nd gear still(even with the 295 Nittos)! With the 93 tune I ran my shift pressures at +25%. Now with the 87 tune, I dropped them all back down to +5%(which is still better than stock)for more comfort in bumper to bumper traffic. Driving the speed limit or 5+ I'm getting around 20-22 MPG with mixed driving. I'm taking the Stang on a 6 hour trek to western PA this weekend and I will see just what kind of highway MPGs I can get with two adults, one kid and luggage in the car:nice: Last time it was just me and a gym bag and I got 23.77 with the shorter OEM tires and the 93 tune.

you ran your shift pressures +25%?? what are the pros and cons of doin that??

you ran your shift pressures +25%?? what are the pros and cons of doin that??
There is no lag in between shifts that I could feel and it slammed into the next gear and made the rear of the car squat each time. Last year at the track with the OEM 235/50-18 BFGs it was good(bad in this case)for even kicking the car sideways going into third gear. It completely overpowered the tires and even my 330' times suffered! This year with the 295/45-18 Nitto 555, it did much better down the track, but still spun pretty good going into second. It makes for not a pleasant experience in bumper to bumper traffic as it shifts hard even while driving around 10-15 MPH with very light throttle pressure. It would bounce my head off the head rest quite often, but my g/f was not liking that at all:( I've never noticed any downside of running it that high...yet. I will now only set it that high for special occasions...