tuner memory and ECU

So, after speaking to my dealer at length about modifying my brand new car with warranty, he tells me that their official position on covering it under warranty. He tells me that nothing will void the warranty, unless I modify the computer or clutch.... those will void it.

I don't want to start another arguement over wether or not they cna legally void the warranty..... All I'd like to know is that if I buy an intake tuner combo, can I easily swap back to the stock intake and tune if I need work done? I'm not worried about the intake, that's a short job.

What I really want to know is if the computer has a memory that the dealer could use to see if I've flashed the computer before. I would hope that if I return it to a stock tune, that they won't know any difference..... is this right?

Thanks for the help....

• Sponsors (?)

just make sure after you return it to stock, disconnect the battery for a lil while then hook it back up, that way the last thing in memory on your car was that the battery was disconnected, not that you reinstalled the stock tune:nice:

SVTTECH76 is a ford tech. he stated that at the dealer level, they cannot see that you have flashed your ECU, but the field engineers may have the ability to see it.

SVTTECH76 is a ford tech. he stated that at the dealer level, they cannot see that you have flashed your ECU, but the field engineers may have the ability to see it.

Techs are not going to see that your PCM has been flashed, worse case is they reprogram the car back to stock..

big mods like a power adder will most likely cause warranty issues.. I am not sure why somebody told you that the clutch will void it, the tech would not be able to see that it has a after market clutch without dropping the tranny.

Technically any mods can void the warranty, it all depends on how picky the dealer wants to be if they call out a ford rep just about anything will void it.

Thanks for the replies all.... figured that the dealer was basically saying "go wild", but I wanted to make sure.

It's nice to hear the the computer doesn't really have a memory. Anybody else want to chime in on the half hour "magic number" to be sure it's cleared? Or is it OK as soon as I reload the stock tune???