Tuners... Which One???

Tomh1962

Aug 28, 2014
OK, I'm looking at getting a tuner this year, real soon as a matter of fact. Now with that said, I know I should search, but I wouldn't know what criteria to search with...

I have an 07 GT with the 5 speed manual, 3.31 factory gears... I bought it in September last year and haven't done a whole lot with it myself. It already had an unknown make of CAI and has Pypes Violator axle back mufflers. No tuner came with the car so I have no idea of what may or may not have been done to the car. My first inclination is to take it to Ford and have them reflash the car with the factory tune so that I have a known baseline. Good idea??

Now, with Bama, SCT, and a host of other tuner "brands" out there... they all seem to be rebadgings of the same hardware... I'm leaning toward the Bama. Good, bod or indifferent?

Then I plane to add an H pipe... and possibly some shorties... and a known branded CAI...

Thank you all in advance...

Tom

• Sponsors (?)

A lot of people go with the SCT, and Bama does their tunes with the SCT through American Muscle, if you choose to go that route (I did).

I wouldn't reflash to the factory tune with a CAI on there unless you have a factory intake handy, otherwise it will throw codes and run poorly. Do you have any pictures of the intake, there's a chance it could be one of the no-tune intakes (which are about worthless).

BTW- I wouldn't bother with shorty headers unless emission laws in your state preclude the use of longtubes.

There's indeed a chance you might have a "no tune required" CAI, in which case your ECU may still have the stock tune anyway.
People will come up with various recommendations for a tuner and I'd highly recommend the SCT X4 tuner from Brenspeed with a CAI that'll really flow some air (like the JLT series 3).