Tuning question???

2012 Boss 302

May 7, 2012
From what I can gather from YouTube a stock Boss makes 400-415 RWHP, depending on dyno.

Prior to the Boss I had a Pontiac G8. It was widely held that a custom tune was worth 10-15 hp over a "box" tune on the GM LS motors.

For the Boss/5.0 I see many tunes using SCT from a lot of vendors. Are these quality tunes or would the money be better spent getting a custom tune???

Anyone in the Houston area do reputable custom tuning???
mustang 043 (350x263).jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Here is what I can tell you. I have a custom tune and my friend has a Bama tune. We have identical mods to our cars. We have run basically identical times at the track. 11.6 to 11.7 @120 mph. The only thing that I find as a great benefit is with a custom tune you know your safe engine wise.

The stock Boss doesn't make 400 rwhp. After I put several thousand miles on my Boss, I bought a Steeda CAI with a 101 mm MAF tube, and a SCT-X3 tuner with a Steeda 93 octane tune. I took my Boss to a local tuning shop to run it on the Dynojet dyno. We did 2 pulls stock and got 384 rwhp and 340 rwtq. Then we installed the CAI and installed the tune. Two more pulls resulted in: 408 rwhp, and 355 rwtq. (24 hp gain, 15 tq gain).

I would say that you would be better off buying the tuner with a tune installed if all you are going to do is bolt-ons. Now if you are looking to add a S/C, turbo, or nitrous, then have it custom tuned. You still want to buy a tuner though because it allows you to go into your pcm to change other things like the speed limiter, rev limiter, when the cooling fans come on, etc.

One more thing with the Boss: don't bother getting the track key program installed. Ford has the track key side of the pcm locked, meaning that no one can enter it to alter the tune. You can only put a tune on the regular side of the pcm. If, like me, that had the track key installed many months ago, I can't use my track key. If I do, I could blow up my engine. Since I have a tune installed, it won't work with the track key. So if I was running the track key and ran it at high rpm's I would get to a very lean situation and could melt a piston, valve, spark plug, etc. The track key side of the pcm still thinks you are running a stock tune.

Steeda tunes are a great option. We work with Ford Motor Company and SCT to identify the best/safest tune we can write. The Steeda CAI/Tune is a great addition to your boss and you will definitely notice the power increase.

PM me for forum pricing or if I can provide you with any additional support.

Best Regards,

TJ