Turbo build and dyno numbers

Zinc2000GT

Founding Member
Aug 29, 2000
Phoenix, AZ
Just finished up my new turbo setup (well 95% complete). There's a few minor issues to fix, but the car is driving now. Took it to the tuners yesterday. It's a simple tune so we can get some miles on the new motor. It's really rich, and missing a few degrees of timing as well as some RPM.

It made 556rwhp at 15lbs of boost on 91 pump gas. After we rack up a couple hundred miles we're going back to tweak the tune (hoping for 580ish at the wheels on pump) and make a 20+psi race gas tune. We're hoping for ~ 750-800whp.

Here's the engine bay. There's a little cleanup that still needs to get done, but all the major work is done.
270697.jpg

and here's the kit fabbed up on the old motor next to the new aluminum block.
257426.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

WOW, that is awesome.!!!! I really like that engine a lot. What all is done(if it hasnt been posted already). what turbo???

Also, I am planning a TT setup for my car. How did you decide what turbo to use??? I was on Garrett's website and they have a huge writeup but, it gave me a headache. I crunched some numbers and got next to no info. Srry for hijacking on first post.

That's definately a big turbo. :D So what turbo is it, and when do you get full boost?

That's definately more power than anyone really needs. :rlaugh:

It's a Garrett GT42R. No boost gauge so i'm not sure when i hit full boost, but i wouldn't have time to be watching the gauge even if i had one :D

It sounds like it starts to spool at around 3000-3500rpm and by 4000rpm you're in the back of the seats.

Some specs:
I'm running the aluminator block assembled by MPH. Manley rods and pistons, and a cobra crank. I wish i had gone with the i beam rods. I'm hoping the h beams are going to hold up :eek:

Heads are Fox Lake with oversized valves, comp high lift springs, and titanium retainers. Cams are MPH spec.

Intake is the reichard racing piece for an oval throttle body. I'm running the "big oval" accufab throttle body.

Fuel system consists of twin Ford GT pumps in a Fore hat. Twin -6AN outlets into a single -8 to the rails. Rails are CPR into Siemens 60lb/hr injectors. We're hoping the 60's will be enough for the race gas tune. Should be cutting it close though.

The turbo is a Garrett GT42R. The system was fabbed up by Forced Air Technologies (FAT) here in phoenix. They mostly do work on subarus, but he's done some amazing custom work before, including two 2000 Cobra R's.

holy crap!! ur gona have to meet me at the pavillions one saturday here shortly and show me this beast!

I'm hoping to make it down there this weekend

If you have ARP 2000 rods bolts, those manley h-beams should be fine to 850-900 wheel i believe.

I do have the ARP 2000 rod bolts and i'm hoping they'll be good for that power.

Im having a hard time seeing it, but that does have a FMIC on it correct?
Yes, it's the black piece at the very top of the picture of the underside of the car.

Not to mention, that looks like quality craftsmanship on the install also.
The builder is a bit of a perfectionist. He spent a fair amount of time making the last pipe that connects to the throttle body. One day he decided he didn't like it, pulled it off and cut it into like 6 pieces. Everyone at the shop was like WTF. The new pipe he made did end up looking much nicer.

From looks of the size of that turbo, when it reaches full boost, do that sucker fry the tires off?

Actually, no. Traction hasn't really been much of an issues so far. I haven't had much time to drive it and i haven't been too hard on it yet, but it seems to hook up fairly well.

I'm sure that's going to change once we get the tune dialed in though. :D