Turbo engine questions

QangMartoq

Feb 27, 2004
Lakeland, FL
From what I have read in the "N/A Power Adders?" thread, it seems as if my ultimate goal - Which is to double the 88hp to 176hp (Or more) - either cannot be done, or can only be done very expensively.

I posted that thread to see if there were ways to get power but avoid the turbo motor (and yes I consider N2O to be cheating, personally).

I have heard that the turbo motor, aside from being notoriously unreliable, is a gas hog, and other bad things.

So I'll ask here - From personal experience, or close friends - Is any of this true? If I dropped a turbo engine into my Mustang, what would it do to the gas mileage? Do the turbocharged engines have any specific reliabilty problems that I should know about? If so, are there things that I can do to prevent them from going south on me?

One of the huge benfits of my N/A 2.3 is the fact that its bulletproof, or dang close thereto. (Even regularly shifting at 5k to 5.5k rpms)

What's the best donor turbo engine to use for such a swap?

Compared to a stock N/A 2.3, how much power/torque gain do you get from a turbo engine? Worth all the trouble? Would a turbocharged engine still be as easy to work on as my N/A appears to be?

I'd like to have my plan of action planned out by the time I have the cash to do the work, so this would be why I'm peppering questions - Once I have the cash, I want to have the work done - I've waited long enough already!

• Sponsors (?)

I suggest wandering over to http://www.turboford.org for more info, most of the turbo 2.3 guys on here are over there also and it's a dedicated site to the engine.

stinger has wiring write-ups on his site, search his name for his web addy.

the 2.3t engine is just as bulletproof as the n/a engine unless you stress it past it's limits or do something wrong with it. heads are prone to cracking but you can just do like me if this happens which is take an n/a head, swap the valves/cam from the turbo head over and open up the cylinder chambers from the closed chamber design to an open chamber design.

General concensus is that a 2.3t bottom end is solid up to 400-450hp or so.

I've heard the 2.3 Turbo called a lot of things, and many of them seem to be bad things. I don't know why. I know a lot of magazines called them "noisy" and talked about the terrible gas mileage they get, but the engine in my TC seems to run pretty smoothly and quietly and gets 25 mpg.

The turbo engine and n/a engine are worlds apart as far as power is concerned. My turbo coupe weighs at least 3500 lbs, but it will get up and scoot when that boost kicks in! My '90 LX was pretty stripped and it always felt slow no matter what. The n/a engine just feels like it's got no guts.

For stats, the n/a engine is rated at 88 hp and 135 ft-lbs of torque. A non-intercooled turbo engine is rated at 150-160 hp (dunno the torque) and the intercooled engines were rated at 190-200 hp (depending on the vehicle) and well over 200 ft-lbs. I've never done a swap myself, but from a power standpoint it's worth it.

yes I agree, I have not had any probs with my car.

and let me tell ya, the 2.3 n/a is nothing comppaered to the 2.3T. and if the power upgrade isnt good enough for you, get in your car and drive around, then think about how cool it would sound to have a turbo whistle sound instead of the exhaust

the 2.3 bottom end is solid, and i have seen 2.3 turbo motors making 500hp with no reliability problems. as for fuel economy, KEEP YOUR FAT FOOT OUT OF THE THROTTLE, and you shold get about the same mileage as a non-turbo car, sometimes even slightly better at freeway speeds as even though you are not getting boost, the turbo is pushing enough air to make a bit more power than a non-turbo motor would make with the same throttle pressure, thus the engine isnt working as hard to move the car along, thus you can use less throttle pressure to run the same speed, thus you use less fuel.

2-4 times the hp you have now is easy once you drop in a turbo motor.

They are just as reliable (and identical to your n/a except for tougher innards).

You'll get just as good or better gas mileage when you want it.

I drove an n/a 2.3 for 12 years, and I've driven a turbo 2.3 for 2 years so you can believe me.

Nitrous isn't cheating, it's awesome! Everyone should have a turbocar w/ nitrous in my opinion. :D