?turbo=flamable?

wshI_hd_1

Founding Member
May 23, 2002
paulding, ga.
I cant decide to go 5.0 or turbo so i went to a junkyard to ask of pricing and what not . O.k, so i was out at a local junkyard today lookin for a motor to do my turbo swap, and the 4 turbo motors at the yard had all been on fire at some point, are turbos likely to set fire, has anyone on here had this promblem, and what may cause this. This will help in my decision of 5.0 or turbo swap. thanx :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

It would have alot to do with what they had next to the turbo which can maintain a tempurature of around 1400* F more than enough to burn some wires that got to close :nice: just keep this in mind when you build your car and you'll be fine

The alternators on most turbo engines have a main power connection which is very suseptable to catching fire. I nearly had a fire this way, and cougar did. The exhaust won't be any hotter than a comparable NA engine, but it is up in the engine bay, and I suppose something may fall on it. :shrug:
Thats why you should have a fire extenguisher. :shrug:

who here keeps a fire extenguisher in there car?? i want to put one in my car, but i dont know where to put it,i dont want the ricer look, i just want a small one where i can get at in from the drivers seat. i was thinking of putting one under the seat, but will it explode in the heat during the summer??

bhuff30 said:
The alternators on most turbo engines have a main power connection which is very suseptable to catching fire. I nearly had a fire this way, and cougar did. The exhaust won't be any hotter than a comparable NA engine, but it is up in the engine bay, and I suppose something may fall on it. :shrug:
Thats why you should have a fire extenguisher. :shrug:
yep
http://cgirc.servequake.com/stinger/SVO/SVOdamagepics/

Ring terminals are a super cheap and easy fix, but i just swapped to a 3g alternator, which is much better. A year later, and no more electrical problems.

Lx89Stang05 said:
i was thinking of putting one under the seat, but will it explode in the heat during the summer??
Belgium Mustangs all have one placed near the console on passenger side. Mine is still original (and verified), never exploded even while car being out all along this pretty hot summer.

mine in my truck is a tiny little plain red one, it sits in front of my shifter under the dash, out of the way and easy to get too, that's all I really care about.... Never had to use it, YET, but the turboswap is coming up in a couple weeks lol....

never had a fire myself but when i was workin on my car today and had the intercooler off i noticed that my O2 sensor harness was hanging down next to the turbo outlet. It had completly melted the one side of the harness. I just zip-tied it up out of the way and it should be fine now.

but yeah, you should always have a fire extiguisher in the car at all times... theres nothing worse than having to watch your car burn to the ground and not being able to do a thing about it, just ask my brother.