Turbo Fuel Mileage

• Sponsors (?)

JamesBaumann said:
I had one question for you guys. What kind of fuel mileage do the turbocharged 2.3's have? Is it less than N/A 2.3's? If so, how much worse is it?

My FourBanger gets ~ 24 mpg driving 75 mph with 3.27 gears and 265/50/15 tires. It can get probably close to 30 mpg if I could just drive 65 mph, but that's not gona happen.

Mike SVOR said:
My FourBanger gets ~ 24 mpg driving 75 mph with 3.27 gears and 265/50/15 tires. It can get probably close to 30 mpg if I could just drive 65 mph, but that's not gona happen.

I was going to say I've "heard" in can get into the 30's, but I was also about 24-25
with the svo geared 3.45 w/ 225/60/16.

For me 30's would be a miracle.l

Last I checked I got right at 30mpg. 181 miles in 6 gallons. I'm running a 3.55 rear with 255/45/17s. I stayed out of boost mostly, but did get into it a few times. Was going about 65-70 mph most of the time.

i4power said:
I would imagine it would affect it. Bigger tires = more rotating mass = slower car = more gas to make it go.

TALLER tires lower your rpm.

RPM is related to gas milage.

Low RPM = good gas milage.

but here's the problem.
a 2.3 doesn't have enough torque to pull a car along at 70 mph and 2,000 rpm.

Not really Mike, the brake specific fuel consumption and volumetric efficiency are what determine fuel economy. BSFC is the fuel required to make X amount of horsepower with a given engine and then the VE tells you where in the RPM range that you will need to spin to make the most out of it. That's a really simple way to explain it but the easiest way to get the most fuel economy is to put a nice vacuum/boost gauge in the car and then keep your vacuum as low as possible while driving. (It's hard!)

Ok, thank you all for answering that question. Now, out of curiosity, what kind of fuel mileage do you get my a naturally aspirated 2.3? I would imagine that it would be up around 35-40 highway mpg and around 30-35 city mpg. Or atleast that is about what i get anyway.

JamesBaumann said:
Ok, thank you all for answering that question. Now, out of curiosity, what kind of fuel mileage do you get my a naturally aspirated 2.3? I would imagine that it would be up around 35-40 highway mpg and around 30-35 city mpg. Or atleast that is about what i get anyway.

The 2.3 sucks for gas mileage, when compared to other four cylinder engines. Ford rated it at 22mpg city, and 30mpg highway. I usually get about 340 miles to a tank, which in a 15.4 gallon tank (I think it's 15.4 gallon), that equates to 22.07 mpg.

Highway mileage is about the same for me at 20 to 30, but intown mileage had dropped as expected :D I usually get 18 to 20 in town because I am addicted to boost and cannont keep my foot out of it no matter how hard I try. :D

Man I get about 15-20. I tend to end up racing at every stop light and putting my foot in it just for fun...lol....I still haven't gotten over how much fun it is driving a turbo car. I haven't driven it since Auguast (blown turbo) but I should be back in her with in a few weeks...