Turbo Newbie - 79 Capri

metal13x

Aug 27, 2015
Might be picking up a 1979 mercury capri from a friend soon. He doesn't know too many details about it other than it's got a turbo and it's been sitting 10+ years in a relative's garage.

So, other than the general list of things to do to a car that has been sitting, anything in particular i need to do with the turbo?

I'm mechanically inclined, have done engine swaps, etc., but i have never owned a car with a turbo charger. Any tips or advice on what to check on the turbo before i fire it up would be great. Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

Disable spark and fuel, hook up a battery charger and crank it through in 20 second bursts with a 30 second pause in between to pre-lube the engine and turbo before attempting to fire it up. Other than that, the normal rules for waking a car from the dead apply. You'll probably end up having to replace the gas tank, pump and filter as well as pull the injectors and send them in for cleaning and evaluation. Around here we send them to FuelInjectorMan in south Fl. Great prices, quick turn around and excellent service.