turbo setup on 96-98 vert...Ever Been Done??

• Sponsors (?)

There was just a thread in tech like 2 weeks ago about a guy who did it to his NPI and only made 330rwhp....if you do it a different intake and cams are a must...if you are going on the cheap then PI Intake and PI cams will be a nice upgrade...if you want to shell out the loot then a SVO/FRPP Intake and some custom cams will be bad ass with a turbo.

Yea....that was with my buddies GUSTANG's car.......the car put down over 400 on 10 psi with NPI stock engine! They detuned it to 340 hp and is still getting the tuning issues worked out now! Should be putting down around 360 with 7-8 psi as soon as the tranny shift issues are fixed! Not bad for a custom turbo setup with only 2500 into it! :)

"ED"

You can do a turbo buildup VERY cheap if you want...but not to offend anyone, but the saying holds true, you get what you pay for.

Like me, I bought basically the best of the best, when it cams to parts like the boost controler/wastegates/BOV/intercooler/vac&boost line/V band clamps/silicon couplers/T bolt clamps/fuel gauge/fuel pump/injectors/MAF/ect .

Only parts I went cheap were the turbos LOL....and its because they were so cheap is why i am even doing this. BUT if they crap on me later on, I can just buy some slightly (maybe) bigger ones direct from garret or something, and they will bolt right up.

I have spent $5000 in my entire setup...but thats JUST parts. That doesnt include the MIG welder, its argon gas, wire for it, tools needed to do the work, griding wheels that we ate up, labor, ect. There are ALOT of hidden costs you know...but fortunatly my dad bought the mig, as he has been wanting one....and like all of the little grinding pads.
BUT im going to pay him back for like everything anyways, and all of the stuff he has bought for both cars over the past few years. :nice:

oh no I was looking at around 6000 grand set aside, I have a 2003 engine in my garage with 3781 mile on it, and IM getting a nice set of cams. but I want close to 400+ hp out of the set up, what size turbo should I go.??

IIRC the Hellion kit goes for about 6 grand....:jaw:

If your doing forced induction, I would skip the cams, unless your having some grinded for a turbo application... or if someone sells them, either way, expensive as hell.

400hp is getting close to the most you want to push on a stock bottom end aswell.

EDIT: Just checked on the Hellion kit, the 96-98 kit is still under R&D.

Yellow2002GT said:
Yea....that was with my buddies GUSTANG's car.......the car put down over 400 on 10 psi with NPI stock engine! They detuned it to 340 hp and is still getting the tuning issues worked out now! Should be putting down around 360 with 7-8 psi as soon as the tranny shift issues are fixed! Not bad for a custom turbo setup with only 2500 into it! :)

"ED"
i don't remember him mentioning anything about 400 rwhp in his thread but more like why is my car only making 330rwhp at 10psi? :shrug: