Turbo Stang

• Sponsors (?)

Shibbydude529 said:
I was wondering if i should buy a whole new engine then put a turbo on her or just put a turbo on my 106,000 mile 302?

if cost isnt a concern, obviously a new motor would be better

it would be better to ask on the turbomustangs.com forums (as posted above, too), they know their ****

I think you can throw the turbo on your 302 as long as it is a pre 93 5.0. That way you have the forged pistons. Then while you are pushing moderate boost 8-10psi, save up for a nice DSS block. I know a guy who made some insane numbers on a stock notch with auto and the HP kit. Something like 460RWHP. He was here in CO, and the numbers may have been wrong being SAE since SAE is a NA correction not for forced induction.

I say buy the turbo kit and put it on the 302. Run low boost 8-10psi and run it that way for awhile. You'll learn how to tune it, drive it, etc. Meanwhile, start building a longblock. You'll have a blast with the 302 and once you're ready to step it up in power, you'll have that built longblock waiting.

Take your 302 block and rebuild it with forged DSS pistons, put afr 165's on it, a nice cam, 30# injectors, and a single turbo and you can easily make 400-500hp with an HP turbo kit. Or....talk to the guys at flowtech and they can get you in the 11's without a turbo. The options are pretty much endless with mustangs....if there's something you want to do...there's usually a way to do it.

I currently have a 306 block with the DSS forged pistons and the Holy II complete kit. I'm getting 340hp right now. I plan on going with a pro turbo kit or a procharger P-1sc kit this summer and making around 450hp.

i like the idea of running the turbo on your 302 for a while, while you build up a new long block. That seems like the best route to go. It may take longer in the end than doing it all at once, but you'll have more fun doing it. :nice:

306five-oh said:
I currently have a 306 block with the DSS forged pistons and the Holy II complete kit. I'm getting 340hp right now. I plan on going with a pro turbo kit or a procharger P-1sc kit this summer and making around 450hp.

i like the idea of running the turbo on your 302 for a while, while you build up a new long block. That seems like the best route to go. It may take longer in the end than doing it all at once, but you'll have more fun doing it. :nice:

Or you could go stroker 351 like me and plan on 500+rwhp n/a :banana: 306five-oh, I think you are aiming a little low on you're boosted hp estimate. I have a buddy with a stock 70k bottom end, tfs h/c/i with a "S" trim around 10-12 psi, made 508 through a 5 spd.