Turn signals on = radio switches off?

Darkwriter77

Resident Ranting Negative Nancy
5 Year Member
Jul 1, 2005
Apache Junction, AZ
I don't think this qualifies as 5.0 Tech, and pretty much NOBODY goes into the Sound/Shine forums, it seems, so ... here it goes. :shrug:

Weird thing I encountered with my '84 since I threw in a little $5 Eclipse cd player (yep, five bucks - the CD part doesn't work): every other time I use the turn signal right or left, the radio shuts off for a second or two and then comes back on. Even stranger, when I have the headlights on, this problem never happens. It doesn't lose its memory, it just powers down for a second and then comes back on. :scratch:

I've got a separate ground, power supply, and constant battery line for the radio independent of the other wiring because the jackhole prior owner somehow removed the stock main radio harness (but he left the speaker harness - go figure), and I've got the ground running straight to the frame, nice and clean to bare metal, so I know that's not it. I've also swapped out the turn signal flasher, thinking maybe it was part of the problem, but no change.

Is it possible that maybe my radio is just so sensitive that the slight voltage drop/spike caused by switching on the turn signal makes the radio shut off for a moment as some kind of protective thing? Is this something Eclipse decks are known to do, or what? Never had this problem with the crappy little Sony shaft-style radio I had in there before (a whole 20 watts of power, wooooo!), so unless this is exclusive to this particular brand/type of CD player, then ... I dunno. :shrug:

Sooooo, anyone ever seen/heard of this kind of thing before? I'm planning on replacing the Eclipse with something else later on when I can afford it, but if this shut-off problem is due to a wiring issue, then I'd kinda like to iron that out, first. And, of course, I'd rather not "solve' the issue by just driving around with my headlights on all of the time just to avoid switching off the radio. :D

Ideas? Suggestions? Similar experiences?

• Sponsors (?)

I have fixed several Fords (and MANY GMs) with this same issue. Its the MFC switch for the turn signals. Its doing a dead short when you turn them on. Easy fix, just get a new MFC switch for the turn signal. Since its an 84 it should be cheaper since it dosent have the wipers on the same stalk :nice:

Hmmm. Sounds possible. Kinda weird though that it never did it with the other radio. Maybe I should try swapping in the radio from Stinky just to see what it does before I throw some money at a new switch?

Turn signal switch = $31.99 at Autozone. My bank account = not quite that much. :(

Hmmm. Sounds possible. Kinda weird though that it never did it with the other radio. Maybe I should try swapping in the radio from Stinky just to see what it does before I throw some money at a new switch?

Turn signal switch = $31.99 at Autozone. My bank account = not quite that much. :(
Eclipse, Rockford and older Pioneers were very sensitive to that kind of thing. The Clarion Pro series had issues with any power hiccup as well :shrug:

I'd say the car is possessed by the spirit of an individual who did not like turning and listening to music at the same time.

:shrug:

I have like 3 turn signal units, but they're all messed up I think.

my car has a similar problem associated with the headlights. it used to cut in and out constantly if i had my headlights on and i was idling. there was a cut off rpm where it would start doing it, like 850-900rpm. if i held the rpm's right above that it'd be fine, but as soon as i let it drop it would constantly cut in and out. i changed out my alternator, completely rewired it, and changed out the headlight switch. i even bought a new cd player thinking it might be the headunit. well none of it helped except the headunit change; it doesn't cut in and out at idle anymore, but it cuts off for a split second whenever i turn my headlights on. anyone have any ideas?

One of those big capacitors used on stereo systems added to the power feed of your radio may fix the problem. Wire it in as close to the radio as possible. It would dampen the spikes and surges that are common on an old car's electrical system.

Of course on of thoes big caps are $100 :rlaugh:

...that shows how much I am into big thumping stereo systems...

A trip to Radio Shack might be a better plan...

Radio Shack
4700µF 35V 20% Axial-Lead Electrolytic Capacitor $5.49
Model: 272-1022
Catalog #: 272-1022

Be sure to observe the polarity markings when you install it... This may happen if you connect it backwards...:flame:

...that shows how much I am into big thumping stereo systems...

A trip to Radio Shack might be a better plan...

Radio Shack
4700µF 35V 20% Axial-Lead Electrolytic Capacitor $5.49
Model: 272-1022
Catalog #: 272-1022

Be sure to observe the polarity markings when you install it... This may happen if you connect it backwards...:flame:

No big thumpin' system here, just crappy old used equipment - 10-year-old Pioneer speakers in back and little $20 tweeters up front with a $5 CD player that isn't fully functional. :D

I might see if they've got that and give that a try. Only thing is, the only Radio Shack I know of in this area is in the mall, and right now I'm avoiding that place like the plague because of all the stupid Xmas as post-Xmas shoppers, so it could be awhile before I can even physically get there. :(

Maybe this weekend I'll take the ROAD GEAR deck out of Stinky and see if that works better. I feel funny just typing that old brand name ... "Road Gear" ... nyuk nyuk nyuk ... :rlaugh:

Oh yeah, and I managed to get it to blink off for a moment last night by turning on my high-beams while honking my horn, as well, when some butthole cut me off. But I think the high-beam switch is on the same piece as the turn signal switch, soooooo ... yeah. Probably right about the switch theory.