Turning engine by hand

The 89 Saleen is coming out of hibernation from a sleep since last November. I am wondering what turning an engine by hand means and is it necessary or at least a good idea. Does it involve using a socket wrench on the harmonic balancer and turning? Will this adequately circulate the oil before startup or is there a better way?

Thanks,

Richard E.

• Sponsors (?)

Using a Rachet and the correct size socket in the middle of the crank pulley you can turn it by hand

Sent from my iPhone using my fingers

Have fun cranking the engine by hand with all the spark plugs still in. Turning the engine over by hand won't prime the oil system adequately. You would have to remove the distributor and use an oil priming tool attached to a drill. I wouldn't waste the time on a car that has only been sitting for a few months. Just fire it up and be on your way. You may cause more headaches by removing the distributor and having to set the timing again.

Reactions: 1 user
For a car that has been sitting for an extended period of time, if you are concerned about sticking rings take out the plugs and squirt a little oil in each hole. Disconnect the coil wire and ground it then tap the key a few times to turn the car over and crank without spark. If you want to be ultra safe prime you can the top end by removing the distributor and either use an old distributor shaft or the tool on a drill. After a few months of sitting your lifters may have bled down a little. I would also change the oil and filter after you warm the car up as the oil has been sitting for a few months. Hope you put some stabil in the gas before you stored it, or you should dump the tank and put fresh gas in it before you start it up. Bad gas can wipe out injectors, fuel pumps and such. Let the car warm up and idle for a good 10 minutes or so and check all the gauges and levels. Gaskets and hoses have a way of drying out when sitting for a while so check for leaks too.

With only four months of sitting, I wouldn't bother pulling the distributor to prime the pump again. At most I would crank it with the starter until the oil light shut off. How to keep the engine from starting while you do that will vary by vehicle and setup, both of which were not mentioned.

An oil filter with a functioning drainback-prevention valve will probably make even that much hassle unnecessary.

Have fun cranking the engine by hand with all the spark plugs still in. Turning the engine over by hand won't prime the oil system adequately. You would have to remove the distributor and use an oil priming tool attached to a drill. I wouldn't waste the time on a car that has only been sitting for a few months. Just fire it up and be on your way. You may cause more headaches by removing the distributor and having to set the timing again.

dont need any special tools for a SBF... just a long 1/4" drive hex extension for a drill. i made mine out of a 6" and a 3" and it works great.

turning it over with the plugs in isnt to bad after you do a 450" motor with 14:1 compression