Types of superchargers, also turbos.

Red03Mustang

Apr 26, 2004
My mustang is pretty much stock as far as the engine goes. What would be a good supercharger to get that isn't super expensive?

I've heard the Kenne Bell makes more power all the time, but is harder on the bottom end at launch, which wouldn't be good for a stock motor.

Other superchargers I've heard are better for stock motors because they build up and you get more boost at the high end, plus you get better traction on takeoff with them.

I may lean more towards the latter. Could anyone recommend a good supercharger of that nature? I hear about Kenne Bell all the time, but not Vortech or Paxton too much.

Also, would a turbo be worth it, instead of a supercharger?

Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

Personally, I'd go for the KB, especially because you have an auto. I always had the impression that street driven autos benefit more from positive displacement blowers like KB because the instant boost/tq. Autos don't have full control of their RPMs like 5-speeds, plus they take longer to rev into upper RPM due to longer gearing.

I could be mistaken though, since I've never driven a centri powered auto. Also, if you're going to do lots of track time, then centris probably would be easier to control. I suppose others with different blower setups could chime in..

Another vote for the KB. :nice:

You will only hear stuff against them from those who do not have one, or from shops who do not sell them. It is the perfect kit for a street car. If you get one, get the 9lb inter-cooled kit.

If you can't shell out the cash for a KB then I'd definitely go with a mongoose kit. That was my other choice but since my mines a street car I just like the big block feel so I went with the KB. Cant go wrong with either.

Thanks, the KB is looking good. :)

What's the word on the Mongoose kit? What are its downsides vs. upsides?

If someone wants to just point me to a link with some information, that could be helpful. I don't want people to have to explain a lot if they don't need to.

I'm looking for an extra 50+ HP/Torque with minimal engine wear, as my car is also my daily driver.

Would NOS be a better option for what I'm looking for? I know these two things are not even in the same category, but I feel like it would be stupid not to at least ask.

Thanks for your responses.

Red03Mustang said:
Thanks, the KB is looking good. :)

What's the word on the Mongoose kit? What are its downsides vs. upsides?

If someone wants to just point me to a link with some information, that could be helpful. I don't want people to have to explain a lot if they don't need to.

I'm looking for an extra 50+ HP/Torque with minimal engine wear, as my car is also my daily driver.

Would NOS be a better option for what I'm looking for? I know these two things are not even in the same category, but I feel like it would be stupid not to at least ask.

Thanks for your responses.

Mongoose Kit

I know you'll love the KB for your auto. And if you want the best of both worlds, you can get a KB Mongoose kit from MPH. It is kinda pricy though, but definitely worth it.

However, MPH must do the install. I see you're from NC; not too far from GA. You can get there first thing in the morning and they should be done by noon. :spot:

xseler8 said:
I'm taking my Procharged daily rider to Atco Tue for the 1st time. I'll let you know how it goes.I have not had this in full boost since installation.
My .02 is all blowers are great if they are running properly. HTH

Sounds like good advice. :nice:

Well coming from a guy that has had a Vortech blower on his Stang for a short time I want a KB :) The car is crazy once you get some rpms under its belt but I'm more of an instant grunt kinda guy. I still have the stock 3.27s in the car though and will be switching to 3.73s or 4.10s so that might change my opinion since I can get into the revs quicker with them. I'll keep you updated :)